So, forgive me all of you who have experienced pregnancy, but since this is my first time, everything is very new to me. Here are some of the "side effects" of being pregnant that I get to enjoy:
Being uncomfortable.
Seriously, I definitely expected to be uncomfortable, but since I'm still almost two full months away from baby's due date, I'm starting to think this will get old really fast. I am already at the point where there is no position sitting, standing, walking, or lying down that is comfortable. There is always something poking (someone, I should say) or just some part of me that aches. It's going to be a long two months!
The swelling.
Yeah, my belly is swelling (as a number of people at work like to remind me...every single time they see me), but this is more about my ankles. Seriously, they are horrifying. There is almost nothing I can do to prevent it, as I sit at my desk for the vast majority of the day. I have a box under the desk to prop my feet on, but that doesn't seem to do much for me. It's hot, I'm large, and there's a lot of fluid, so I think this one is sticking with me for the next two months too.
The sleeping.
Or rather, the lack thereof. Admittedly, I haven't slept well in...ever...but this is quite a bit worse. I've had hip pain while I sleep for a long time already, starting probably back in January, and it just seems to get worse. I usually manage to sleep for about an hour on one side, then wake up to switch sides (or go to the bathroom) (or both). This makes for a lot of awake time during the night. And then usually around 3:00am, both hips will hurt and I'll have to sleep in a propped up semi-reclining position. This is less than ideal, as it tends to make my back hurt. So, I do a lot of shuffling about. Good thing my husband sleeps so soundly that he wouldn't notice if I started to do a jig on the bed (not that I could physically dance a jig). (And yes, I do understand that this will not change when I am no longer pregnant.)
The scar.
This might be a bit TMI, but hey you're here reading on my blog :) I've had three abdominal surgeries, two of which left a pretty long scar. The third left three smaller scars. I don't particularly care about these and figured they wouldn't be a problem. Apparently, having internal scar tissue is, though. Let me tell you, when that baby kicks from the inside right on the scars, it's like having a hot knife cutting through my flesh. And let's just say, she kicks and punches and squiggles and moves on that scar tissue plenty.
The guilt.
All of these complaints and pains tend to make me feel guilty. You see, I spent 5+ years looking with jealous eyes and envious glances at every pregnant woman and every little baby. I wanted and longed for and waited and then I finally received. I would get annoyed at all those lucky women who would complain about being pregnant or about having tough kids. And now I am complaining! How dare I? It feels like I should never have anything negative to say about being pregnant (and this should obviously extend into when I have a baby). But, I can't seem to help it! I know there are so, so, so many people out there who would love to be in my place, experiencing these same pains and aches and difficulties just for a chance to have that baby. And I know how ridiculously blessed I am to be experiencing them. I can generally remember that, but, it's still not awesome all the time. So forgive me if my complaints about being pregnant make you want to smack me upside the head or cry or feel any of the millions of emotions people without children of their own experience. I know how lucky I am. I just don't always remember it.
And the list of good things about being pregnant (very high on that list is NOT having a period...just sayin') is so overwhelmingly huge that I could fill dozens of posts about them. Just as I'm sure the millions of wonderful things about having kids will vastly outweigh the difficulties, discomforts, and many sleepless nights that also come with kids. Right?
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
What the Pregnant?
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
3:09 PM
Labels: cause for joy, hello pregnancy, me - what more can I say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Here, here! I think being preggo comes with a right to complain about your a aches and pains. I have really hard pregnancies and HATE being pregnant but it is a means to an end. You will be a fabulous mother and I can't wait to see the little 'head'
The guilt section was a surprise to me, but understandable. Another thing surprising thing is how quickly you foret that you hate pregnancy almost the second it's over.
You will forget how miserable you were during the pregnancy as soon as you have that baby in your arms. For bedtime aches and pains try putting a pillow between your legs/thighs while lying on your side. I sleep with a boppy and with my first pregnancy it was a real life saver. Towards the end of my pregnancy with Connor I got up to pee at least 3 times a night. I figure that's nature's way of getting you ready for night time feedings.
Don't worry about feeling guilty. I highly doubt anyone really enjoys being pregnant. I for one do not enjoy the side effects that I seem to get-fainting, diabetes, aches and pains and walking like a penguin etc., but the pros outweigh the cons and again when you have that baby in your arms it'll all be worth it. Then in no time at all you'll want another one :)
Another great post. You are so self aware, it is awesome. I can see you have gained a lot of perspective going through this pregnancy. Complaining about it is a good way to relieve your frustration and help you cope, so you go right ahead. It is really hard when every organ is pushed out of the way to make room for that little person. You are so close to being done and that water retention will go away fast, so just sit tight or lay or get into some position that is tolerable and it will be over before you know it.
Amy, thanks :) I know I'm super lucky in that my pregnancy has not been difficult. I can't imagine what it must be like if it sucks pretty much from beginning to end!
Cheltz, I'm definitely hoping to forget some of this, though now I have it in writing...
Mandy, I've totally tried the pillow between my legs and it actually made my hips hurt worse :( Also, I tend to get up to pee pretty much every time I wake up, even though I probably don't have to. I guess I'll be really prepared? :) Thanks for the encouragement and hope you are doing ok with your pregnancy (ugh, diabetes sounds awful).
leela, thanks for being so sweet :) I laughed when you said I was self-aware, because sometimes I feel like I have no clue what's going on with me and I'm too lazy to figure it out! Hoping the swollen ankles leave quickly :)
Post a Comment