Monday, June 22, 2009

Weather or Not

It has come to my attention, that the weather has been acting peculiarly recently. Not just here, but in lots of places around the country. It seems to me that there are indications when enough is enough! There are the usual signs: flooding and all that. Those are not the kind of signs I was thinking of, however. Here are my own personal signs:

You know it's been raining too much when...

  • I race outside to catch a stray ray of sunshine, even if it only lasts a few minutes
  • the crowds at the outdoor theater are overwhelming on the only night that appears clear
  • the greatest threat to our garden's survival are snails

(I'll teach you to chew on my plants!)
  • we haven't watered the lawn in...weeks?
  • we bypass our irrigation turn (!)
  • we haven't used the air conditioning this year
What are your indicators?

7 comments:

kelleen said...

Darn those bugs! We have tons of rain too, and such a mild winter that EVERYTHING has multiplied and come out in full force--that means last year all we battled were mosquitoes, and this year we have ticks, copperhead snakes, grubs, slugs,and even more mosquitoes to deal with. Love the rain, hate the bugs!

Unknown said...

Ahh! It has been 117 degrees with the heat index here for 4 days in a row. (and we got so much rain that our basement flooded...again)When I walk outside, my glasses fog up. I'm missing Utah just a little bit.

leela said...

My indicators of too much rain are similar to yours. But I sort of like the rain. I should probably move to Seattle or somewhere like that. There is something about rain that makes me happy. We have had way too many snails this year. I have been throwing them in the trash can when I see them. I see one of the snails was nibbling on a celery stalk? That is fun that you have a garden.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Kell, you have me thanking my lucky stars for our snail problem...especially when you pull out the copperhead snakes - ugh!

Amy, you also have me feeling lucky! Wow, that is HOT! Hopefully your basement doesn't flood anymore :( - maybe it means you should put an indoor pool in?

Leela, yeah move to Seattle and take the rain with you :) JK. That snail was gnawing on our zucchini plants - which may or may not be bad thing, since we had so many zucchini last year!

Peter and Mandy said...

Two weekends ago I had planned to take to my car and have it washed/vacuumed. However, as I set out for my day, the sky was looking a bit murky, the ground was wet and my plans instantly changed. Now here we are it was the middle of June and it was drizzling outside and it was cold. Worst part about all the cold weather is the plum tree doesn't look like its going to produce many plums this year.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I've been counting the number of apricots we got on our trees. It hasn't gotten into the twenties yet.

Lindsay said...

We've had an unbelievable amount of rain in New York, too. June was a record breaking month, and July doesn't seem to be starting off any better. For us, we can tell it's raining too much because we get stuck inside nearly every day. Blah.