Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 5: Renaissance Days

Telč is a Renaissance town plucked straight from the 16th century and plopped down in our century for our viewing pleasure. It was surrounded by rivers and lakes, almost making it an island. Perfect place for a picnic:



We entered the town and saw folks viewing the town from the tower (back one)


And so decided to climb up there:

It was pretty clouded when we climbed up - imagine trying to fit past someone on those stairs! I tried to take photos of the giant bells on the way, but didn't want to hold up the hordes.

View from the top: worth the climb


TT and I - my facial expression is where the word "guffaw" has its origins.


View of the town square from above


The town square - my favorite part! The streets were lined with little shops selling Czech souvenirs and other stuff. All of us loved it (except my dad, who thinks shopping is of the devil).


The house fronts have remained the same since the 16th century - and they are simply beautiful! Here are two of my favorites:


View from the other side of the street - most of the fronts have cute little shops in them too!


The typical "we survived the plague" column in nearly every city - called the column of apostasy by the missionaries.


This makes me all kinds of happy. Must. eat. more. ice cream.


On the way back to Brno, we stopped at the Kralice Bible Museum, which doesn't look like much from the outside, but manages to house some seriously old religious books. The first complete translation of the Bible into Czech was printed here. I blogged about its awesomeness with pictures and everything on my book blog.

Doesn't this look like something from a palace garden? Actually, it was my parent's back yard. They didn't maintain it, but got to enjoy its beauty through their windows. That's the best way to enjoy yards, I've decided.

3 comments:

leela said...

That is a beautiful place. I wonder what it is like to live there? I wonder what the seasons are like too. I can't believe how well preserved it is.

Kay said...

Oooo. Did I mention that when we live next to each other it will be THERE. When I'm rich I mean (ha!!)

That is a woodchuck face by the way. I love it! (So does Cecil)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Leela, the weather there was fairly similar to here, but more humid. Also, I think it was a little colder in the winter. I am sure they have restored it and done stuff to preserve it as well.

Kay, yes. As long as I live next door to you, I am happy to live in Telc. I think you are right about the woodchuck face. Now I am not as ashamed I posted in for all to see. :)