Sunday rolled around and we had our first experience with the gospel in Czech. Fortunately, the branch in Brno has a system set up where we could have headphones and one of the missionaries (or an English speaking member) would translate. I was really impressed with the abilities of the missionaries to translate on the spot. I imagine it is very difficult (especially in Czech). Sometimes they wouldn't be able to keep up, or the speakers talked too quickly. But, in general, they were fabulous. And if they hadn't been there, we would have gotten nothing. Unless they were talking about friend cheese. Or saying 'good day' over and over again.
I was really impressed with all of the people we met - members and investigators alike. It is very difficult to be in a place where your religion is so obscure and members are so few. My parents helped coordinate a conference for young adults in Europe. I imagine those are so important for the young people - getting to associate with so many people with your same beliefs. If I learned anything from these people (and I did) it was to appreciate what I have here at home. And stop whining.
They had an English-speaking Sunday school class, which was helpful. We met in a room the size of a large closet and with about seven others. One of my favorites was an extremely happy recent convert. He always had a huge smile on his face and he had an amazing knowledge of the scriptures. I wish I had such a dedication to the scriptures and could remember so much from them.
Relief society was all in Czech, but it was nice to be in a huge circle of LDS women all learning about the gospel. Feelings were more important than words.
After church, my mom, TT, and I all went for a nice walk to the local castle and cathedral.
I love a good doorway shot.
Hanging with the cannons - obviously no longer in working order :)
Showing how grown-up I am
Castle building itself
Loved these doorways - think I could bring one home for a souvenir?
The bells I never actually heard - though my mom heard them playing the Beatles one time. Not exactly cultural.
View of the red church from the castle walls (we didn't visit this one until later)
Just a little green sanctuary in the middle of the city - wish we had more places like this in our city!
We strolled past the Cathedral, but didn't stop in (watch for our other trip later in the week)
Old town hall building - that spire is what happens when you fire your artist before the work is finished :)
Tour of the town hall wouldn't be complete without this little guy:
the dragon of Brno - terrorizing citizens centuries ago
Oh, and it's my birthday today. Yipee!
4 comments:
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!
Happy birthday Moley!!!
Got a good laugh from the crooked spire and hanging croc (uh,dragon I mean). I never tire of your stories and sweet pics :)
So cool! That is fun that you could go to church and they catered to your needs. What a beautiful place.
Thanks friends!
Post a Comment