I'm sure you already knew that, but we learned it again in visiting the site of the Battle of Austerlitz. Again, I admit to knowing almost nothing about this battle or the Napoleonic wars in general. However, I was touched by the peace and beauty that now occupies this once bloody field. A rather unique monument has been erected at the place, with emperors standing on each corner of the four-sided pyramid.
There is a chapel underneath the monument.
The green fields and grass around them seemed to belie its violent past.
We took photos of the chapel through the bars, but couldn't enter.
Here are some photos of the battle grounds - imagine how many people died in this place. It's very sad.
After experiencing a visual and audio representation of what the battle must have been like, we went to the nearby town of Austerlitz (called Slavkov in Czech). At the castle there, Napoleon had his headquarters. There they have people who dress up like soldiers.
The little man on the stairs, dressed like a French soldier is Napoleon. He and his wife were hanging out here.
Some of the soldiers march past some of us commoners.
Very beautiful garden and grounds at the castle.
Here is where the soldiers camped. Apparently they kept their children with them.
Guarding his gun (particularly from that teddy bear).
Stay tuned for our last adventure with my parents! There is one day of "addendum" after that and then - the trip is over and we can all return to our normal lives.
3 comments:
I think he was using the gun to protect the teddy bear, after all everyone needs a cute teddy bear to protect. :)
By the way the jam is tasty. I have it on toast every morning...delish!
Hey Melissa!!! So I was SOOOOO lazy this year and didn't send out cards but I made one that I was going to send out over the e-mail but then never wrote a letter.....I'll send it to you though, it's pretty cute :)
All your Christmas goodies look so yummy! Hope you had a great holiday. How do you like your new apartment? Is it fun having your parents back from their mission?
Talk to you soon,
Rachel
Mandy, I'm so glad you enjoyed the jam! We haven't opened yours yet, but I am super excited to!
Rach, I did the lazy way and didn't even write a letter - and I don't have kids as an excuse :)
Post a Comment