Addendum:
Our flight home from the Czech Republic turned out to be a nightmare. Well, not the flight itself, which would have been lovely, I'm sure, but the waiting for it. When we arrived, it was delayed a few hours. Then a few more hours. Then it was cancelled. They booked us a hotel and sent us on our merry way. Except we had NO IDEA where to get a bus to said hotel. Nothing like wandering a large foreign airport with no ability to speak the language trying to find a random bus. It was actually quite some time before we managed to find it (with a little help from a lot of American folks). I'm not going to lie - I cried. Like a baby. Moving on. When we did finally make it to the hotel, it was actually a very nice one. Big. In the center of Prague. Like an hour from the airport (unpractical, but still cool). Here was our room:
We wanted to take advantage of our time in Prague, despite having spent pretty much all day at the airport dealing with this stuff. So, with the hour or so we had before dinner, we strolled around town. Just down the street we found:
Which is called Obecni Dum (don't ask me how it's pronounced, I'd probably slaughter it) which is basically
Municipal House. It was really cool, but impossible to photograph (ok, just for me to photograph). If you click on that link, there is a very nice image of the whole building.
Here was the brief glimpse of the interior we got. No real time (or money) for a tour.
Right next door was the
Prasna brana, the Powder Tower which apparantly dates back to the 1400s, though it was rebuilt. Anywho, it sure looked cool.
And, not much farther along, we discovered this awesome place.
The
Jerusalem Synagogue definitely stands out from its much less colorful neighbors. Again, no time to tour the inside, but from the photos on that site, it would have been very intriguing.
A random church tucked away among all the others in the city. No idea what it is or where, but I thought the little garden and windows were just so charming.
After our stroll about town, we were fed dinner (which consisted of extremely expensive and therefore rather unpalatable items). The next morning, our flight left without further difficulty. Unfortunately, despite mentioning our concerns to the ticket agent, they scheduled our connecting flight with about 40 minutes for customs. Needless to say, we missed that flight. The next agent we talked to couldn't possibly get us on another flight until, you guessed it, the next afternoon. By this time, I was very tired, very hungry, and very upset. Again, we were offered accomodations, though I assume they would have been less than stellar. Fortunately, after I had another massive crying festival (hey, tell me I'm not the only one who gets emotional with lack of sleep and constant irritation) my sweet husband managed to convince an agent to get us on a flight that same evening. We arrived home near midnight and just crashed into bed. Despite being back at work the very next morning (a day late), I think I managed to at least catch up on some lost sleep (napping on airplanes, I don't think so).
And that, my friends, ends the long, dry, five-month extended epic chronicle of our trip to the Czech Republic. Was it worth it? Yes. Yes it was.
3 comments:
Oh my goodness sorry you had to endure all of that. Glad that you made it back in one piece (more or less) :)
I would have bawled my eyes out! I'm so happy you got home that night. Your photos an commentary were so cool for that trip. Loved it!
Thanks guys! I'm pretty much over the trauma (what, only took me like four months?)
Post a Comment