Wednesday, December 30, 2009

We Interrupt Your Irregularly Scheduled Vacation Post For...

A bit of Christmas fun.  Here is what our Christmas looked like.  I still haven't posted about our new apartment, but I intend to sometime.  I'd say soon, but really, who knows?

Ok, since I'm already behind, here is a photo of the chocolate silk pie I made for Thanksgiving, since I have to celebrate every time I make something that isn't a flop.




Here is our Christmas tree, christened Billy Joe Bob (or BJB for short).  We were super excited to buy a live one this year, after using my parents' plastic one the past two years :)




Unfortunately, BJB was getting very droopy and sad by the time Christmas came.  Here is Vince, lamenting his demise.
 

I made some gingerbread cookies for my work party and had a bit of a good time decorating them.



And, if we must be entirely honest in our cooking, I have to show the caramel I made.  Unfortunately, due to my foolishness and ignorance regarding a new candy thermometer, it was cooked about 20 degrees more than it was supposed to.  It was more like caramel rock candy, hence the sharp edges you see here.

 
Fortunately, however, we made some excellent peanut brittle that we have been enjoying!

 

Our stockings were hung on the entertainment center with care.  I had this great idea that I would embroider our names on them, since they looked pretty sad with nothing on them.  But, the snowflake I tried to do on mine turned out looking more like a skull. 
 

Since we have no cute kids to photograph opening presents Christmas morning, I took a nice picture of Vince, looking excited to open his presents.  Too bad he already knew what they all were.

 

Here he is with all his gifts.  Christmas sure is boring with no kids and no budget :)


And me with my extra special surprise car seat warmer.  It has given me many a warm behind since and I have to admit it is my favorite.  That and a game called Killer Bunnies not pictured here, but from my brother and sister-in-law :)
 

And, in case you didn't get a copy of our delightful Christmas card, I thought I'd post it here for your viewing pleasure:
 

And now, you can go back to anticipating the posts from the rest of our summer vacation.  Pretty sad when I put it that way.

7 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Love it all! Too creative with the card :)

leela said...

Your Christmas looked fun. That car seat warmer also looks like a great gift.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Mandy, thanks! I guess it was more that we couldn't manage to get a normal photo, so why bother.

Leela, oh the seat warmer is heaven!

kelleen said...

mmm...chocolate silk pie--looks delicious!Great Christmas card by the way, and glad you now have a warm booty :) Crazy thing--we just bought Killer Bunnies yesterday and played it last night for New Years, wish you were way out here to play with us!

lori said...

You two are hilarious! Glad you had a happy holiday together!

Kay said...

I miss you Mully! The Christmas card is GOLDEN! This year Jason gave me a book he saw recommended on your book site (Life As We Knew It) I love it! I gave him a box of Jr. Mints.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Kell, killer bunnies - what can I say? Weird name, cool game.

Lori, thanks :) I've loved your holiday posts.

Kay, I'm so glad you liked the book. It was one of my faves.