Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Winter Break(ing Point)

You know that time, usually in February when you realize you are going to go CRAZY if something doesn't happen?  I don't even know what that something usually is, but I know I need it.  Well, I reached that point.  Probably in February, near the end.  But, we didn't manage to do the something until spring break.  The important thing is, we did something.


[Warning: embarrassing and horrific amounts of photos to follow.  I give you permission to leave if necessary.]


Photobucket
A lovely little group of cabins

Photobucket
Our particular lovely cabin

Photobucket
Cause I always get a bit crazy with the camera on vacation - the bed!!

Photobucket
The husband with the little stove (that I wanted to call wood-burning, but required no wood)

We were just minutes from the East entrance to Zion National Park.  How could we resist?
Photobucket
Called checkerboard for obvious reasons...

Photobucket
While we may have initially intended to go someplace warm, we ended up with the snow still.  Eh.

Photobucket
I've discovered if you put me in the beautiful outdoors with a camera, I go nuts.

Photobucket
Seriously love the crazy patterns in the rocks!

Photobucket
[See previous comment]

Photobucket
We still got the lovely contrast of red and green :)

Photobucket
That drive from the East gate to Zion canyon - it will make you drive straight off the road while you stare at the beautiful formations!

Photobucket
Of course, the infamous tunnel

Photobucket
Honestly, I never tire of this.  But, I think it's more impressive in person.

Photobucket
Towering red rocks.  I love them.

Photobucket
More of the same [meaning the dreadful comments]

Photobucket
My favorite photo from the trip.  Gnarly trees.

Photobucket
Makes me want to hike to the top and look down.

Photobucket
Plenty of spring run off, though the water was definitely NOT what I'd call Emerald (Emerald Pools)

Photobucket
Obligatory Vince-on-stairs (seriously, I am so original)

Photobucket
More Emerald Pools (which should be renamed Emerald Falls, since no one ever even looks at the pools).



Photobucket
Yep.  More water.

Photobucket
What, expecting something not from the waterfall?  There are people in this photo, you know.

Photobucket
This one too.  That's Vince.  In front of the falls.

Photobucket
Come on, you have to admit this one is cool.  And recognize that I posted less than 1/4 of the photos I took from this hike alone.

Photobucket
I know, I know, it's out of control.

Photobucket
You get the picture.  [Ha, pun totally intended.]

Photobucket
This makes us look like lame tourists.  But, at least I convinced Vince to pose and not me :)

Photobucket
This is a DIFFERENT waterfall.  A SPONTANEOUS one!

Photobucket
Coming off a very high cliff.

Photobucket
Random, but I love the textures.

Photobucket
Hard to tell what it is, but I just didn't want to fall into it.

Photobucket
This, my friends, is where the phrase "where the sun don't shine" comes from.

Photobucket
"Quick, run ahead and look back and I'll take your picture and it will look so natural!"

Photobucket
I call this "between a rock and a very old tree" (I spared you from the very same photo with Vince transposed into my place - aren't you glad?)

Photobucket
I have no excuse for posting this one.  I just liked it.

Photobucket
View from Observation Point (a new-to-us hike).  Seriously scary drop off, but gorgeous view!

Photobucket
Just lean a little to the right, and you will be free-falling.

Photobucket
"This is as close to the edge as I'm getting."  See that really cool rock he's pointing at?

Photobucket
Proof we were actually there at the same time.  And that I should never wear hats.

Photobucket
Too bad I had to mar nature by throwing my sweaty face between it (though, I did take my hat off for your benefit).

Photobucket
This is a giant root that is keeping that tree from falling off the cliff.  I tripped over it.

Photobucket
Um...

Photobucket
Yeah...

Photobucket
Look - a rock!

Photobucket
Hey, that looks familiar. Oh, yeah.  Checkerboard on our way back out.  

So, you've made it this far.  I figured I'd give you a break from all those photos and save our next adventure for another post.  (Probably in four weeks or so :)

7 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow that's A LOT of pictures :) Love all the commentary too.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Mandy, yeah. I'm surprised you made it all the way to the end (course, you could have skipped :)

Rachel said...

looks like a fun trip! cute little cabin too!

kelleen said...

Melissa, you are seriously hilarious--I especially liked the tripping over the root part; glad to see I'm not the only one who does stuff like that. You have a talent for photography and humor--thanks for sharing!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Rach, it was a nice break!

Kell, thanks for making me feel ok about posting all these photos :)

leela said...

I can tell that God's creations have truly gladdened your heart as was their purpose in Him making them. It's nice that you can appreciate nature and have a chance to get away from the city to see the beauty of the world.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

leela, thanks! I love a good break from home.