Friday, April 9, 2010

A Continuation of the Photo-Overload

So, we also managed to visit Bryce Canyon while we were vacationing.  In the approach to Bryce, there is this small canyon known as Red Canyon.  Wow.  It is simply gorgeous.  You don't expect to see anything but the somewhat drab grey and brown and white and suddenly you are accosted by the most brilliant reds and oranges.  It is quite a dangerous place to drive, since you can't pay any attention to the road with all these glorious formations around. 

Here we are seeing the abrupt transition to the canyon:
Photobucket


Some of the unique formations in Red Canyon
Photobucket


Trying so hard to pay attention to the road, but being distracted by these rocks:
Photobucket


I love how rich the reds and greens are in this photo
Photobucket


It was quite cold (obviously) but I love the snow topping the hoodoo formations at Bryce
Photobucket


That is one very resilient tree down there - thriving on very little water in summer and very little sunshine any season
Photobucket


Don't get to near the edge :)
Photobucket


So much for escaping from the cold and the snow!
Photobucket


Can't beat the view.  Obviously, I got a bit crazy with the camera (again).  I promise I whittled it down.  A lot.
Photobucket


[insert humorous comment here]
Photobucket


If you have never been to Bryce Canyon, it is an amazing experience - like standing on the edge of the world and seeing it all spread out before you:
Photobucket


Just, you know, more of that lovely view.  The usual.
Photobucket




One of the top ten reasons for injury in Bryce during the winter are those who ski or snowboard off the rim.  Yes, there are people who do it. 
Photobucket


We took a short hike along the rim, which was actually a lot longer than it normally would be, since the trail was under about four or five feet of snow and straight up hill.  But, it was worth it.
Photobucket


Can't get enough of that.
Photobucket


That's a lot of trees.
Photobucket


I love how each layer has its own unique colors.
Photobucket


And that will do it for our short winter vacation.  I know you were hoping for all 200+ images from our trip, but really I don't think I can think of enough interesting captions for them all (I can't even think of enough for the ones in this post).  Stay tuned for an interesting birthday cake experience.  It's a thrill, I tell you.

6 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Absolutely breathtaking!

kelleen said...

wow-sad I never visited it when I lived so close--so amazing

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thanks friends! I appreciate your nice comments :)

leela said...

I am impressed with your ability to have that many pictures in 1 post. My max is like 3. Bryce Canyon really is beautiful. I had no idea it looked like that. It's like a whole other land!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

leela, it really is just so I can post less often - more photos in one post :) It's definitely worth a trip!

Kay said...

It makes me miss Utah a LOT. I love the red rock too. As a kid I feel like we always went to Bryce for spring break and I think there was always snow. I love the tour busses of European or Japanese tourists. I KNOW some of them must have piles of photos taller than yours.