Vince celebrated his birthday (about a month ago) and I did my best to provide him with sugar.
It seems like it should be kinda hard to ruin a cake from a box. Turns out, it's not that difficult. I was using my fancy-shmancy spring form cake pans. But, even that did not save my cake from this indignity:
It had a few problems getting out of the pan. I promise I sprayed it and everything. So much for not ruining a simple from-a-box cake. However, as I discovered, frosting covers a multitude of cake disasters:
It may still look a bit deformed, but not nearly as much as before! (And yes, that is pink frosting for the hubby's cake - he wanted strawberry and that's what he got!)
Am I the only one that apparently hasn't figured out the awesomeness that is a spring-form pan? I hear they are wonderful, but from this experience, I'm beginning to wonder...


8 comments:
don't worry....this month i ruined a box of mac 'n cheese, instant oatmeal and baking frozen lasagna. maybe that's why we've always been friends :)
So glad I'm not the only one, Rach. I still have my epic spaghetti fail going for me too. I guess I shouldn't ask for cooking lessons from you (though, as I recall, your cakes and other treats always seem to look so awesome).
I actually have no experience with springform pans--but they sound like a pan. Plain old 9" rounds have always worked fine for me. Or better yet, put it in a 9x13 and don't worry about having to take it out of the pan. Or even better than that: cupcakes.
I've never used spring pans. Good thing frosting covers just about everything. :)
Linda, I think I used them once before and it was so lovely having the bottom come right out and the cake so easy to remove. I'm thinking cupcakes from now on.
Mandy, frosting saved my life. No really.
Hah huhu. It looks like a foam cushion from the inside of a really really old decreped VW bug seat. Just pull back the tattered vinal and there's fluffy disintegrated foam everywhere! Love it.
Wow, I am amazed that you salvaged that one. I bet it was still as tasty as ever. I have used a springform pan before and I have to ask if you greased it AND floured it? Grease alone will not do the job. You have to get some white flour and coat the grease. Then the cake pops out super easy. If you did do this, then something must have gone wrong with what went into the cake. Is it angel food cake? Did you use small or medium eggs instead of large? Did you try applesauce instead of cooking oil? Those box mixes are supposed to be fail proof so I don't know what went wrong. At least you got to eat it :)
Kay, that was some vivid description there! I am hoping it tasted better than VW fluff :)
Leela, flour huh? Well, I may have located the problem then. I think I considered flouring it, but was too lazy. I'll look at these photos next time I want to skip that step.
Post a Comment