Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rexburg Part II

So, only two weeks later, right?  Not too bad.  Here are some of our photos from the exciting visit to Rexburg to see my sister's family.  We took a day trip to Yellowstone in the hopes of seeing some bears, but were thwarted in our desires.  However, we still managed to get some lovely photos and see some wildlife.  And, despite the hail and snow and freezing wind, it was a fun trip. :)

Photobucket
As always, a beautiful view (and it makes me want to go camping so badly)!

Photobucket
I love the mist rising from the ground (even if the mist smells a bit like rotten eggs)

Photobucket
Crazy tree spikes rising out of some really green grass - there are a lot of really crazy sights here!

Photobucket
Not sure if this is minerals or snow making this slope white - but it sure is pretty.

Photobucket
Can you imagine coming upon something like this if you'd never seen geysers or natural hot springs?  Pretty weird.

Photobucket
Apparently, life will still thrive in the heat and the chemicals!

Photobucket
I really went wild with the camera when we got here - these dead trees rising out of the mist and wasteland just caught my eye.  Hope you don't get too sick of them :)

Photobucket
Doesn't this just have a spooky Halloween feel?

Photobucket
Kind of eerie shapes rising from the mist - sounds like a good scary book beginning.

Photobucket
I did mention I went crazy with the camera, right?

Photobucket
This was pretty weird too - these living trees right on the edge, some of them in the middle of dying from the heat and chemicals.

Photobucket
A good indication of how cold it was - that's a blanket wrapped around me over two jackets.  The heated mist almost made the smell bearable :)

Photobucket
Well, it wasn't bearable for the little girls, though.

Photobucket
It really wasn't that barren - there were quite a lot of people out (it was between hail storms :)

Photobucket
This just looks like a scary movie set to me.

Photobucket
Can't you just see zombies or swamp creatures rising from the mist here?

Photobucket
I also really liked the colors - some interesting natural shades.

Photobucket
Side of a mountain here - I think that isn't snow, but some kind of chemical that looks white (yeah, I'm not a chemist here)


Photobucket
Still taking pictures of the dead trees.


Photobucket
Look at the crazy shapes and colors going on!  It really is more spectacular in person.

Photobucket
Everybody's looking at the camera (well, ok, except the baby).

Photobucket
Got two little additions to our family here :)

Photobucket
Just gorgeous and so strange!

Photobucket
More of the same. 

Photobucket
Enough with the trees already!

Photobucket
Ok, I couldn't resist this lone dead tree.

Photobucket
No really, I think this is the last tree photo.


Photobucket
Yeah!  Bison! (Corrected from buffalo by my eight-year-old nephew.  Not confidence boosting.)

Photobucket
I just loved the little baby bison.  They were so cute and cuddly.  Not so much the momma.

Photobucket
Ok, and not nearly as cute and cuddly as this baby! 

Photobucket
Look at that face - just makes you want to pinch his cheeks.

I've even saved some photos for a second Rexburg post.  Stay tuned for our adventures in the desert.  

3 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Some of those dead tree pictures looked like they were paintings from some famous artist. They were amazing!

kelleen said...

crazy! LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING STRAIGHT OUT OF A SI-FI MOVIE (sorry, am typing one-handed, didn't realize caps was on, and now to lazy to redo it!) great photos!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Mandy, perhaps I should have claimed I painted them :)

Kell, your comment made me laugh hysterically! The many wonders and skills of a mom. And thanks :)