Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Garden is...Shrinking

Friends, remember last year when I had lots of garden space and all the work that went with it, but all those yummy veggies and fruits that came?  Well, this year, I am thinking back fondly on that (ah, it's good that I'm forgetting most of the hard work, right?) and sighing at the size of the "garden" this year.  I somehow can't manage not to try to grow something, so here's what I couldn't live without.

Photobucket

Hanging left: beans, then tomato, carrots, pepper, another tomato, flower (ha, how silly of me) and hanging right: cucumber.

Photobucket

Here's a shot from the other side.  We already ate the radishes that we grew (and promptly filled the empty space with other plants).  You can see things aren't too big yet, but I fear the people below will worry about veggies falling.  That could be fun.

Here's one of the reasons they aren't growing well:
Photobucket

You can't really tell, but it's snowing in this picture.  Snowing in late May.  As you can imagine, I was not pleased.  I think the weather may have finally decided to warm up.  Maybe.  Knock on wood.


Photobucket

My dad just happened to buy a tractor.  It's like a big noisy toy for him.  A toy that also happens to help with the big garden (almost makes me wish we had one last year - think of the work saved).

Photobucket
Here he is like a kid in a candy store.  Standing and grinning for all he's worth.  Simple pleasures.  

I actually intend to post about our weekend in Rexburg fairly soon.  But, you know my intentions aren't always met. 

7 comments:

Linda said...

My balcony garden has the same sad problem. Curse this Utah weather.

leela said...

I feel sad for you that you no longer have a garden to tend. One of these days you'll be in a house and you'll get your garden then. The weather is pretty crazy right now too. I'm not sure what that's about.

Peter and Mandy said...

Now didn't that happen last year too? Utah sure has some strange weather. I finally just took out the winter veggies in my garden at work. Though our broccoli is still producing. We planted summer veggie seeds and the kids got all excited to see a whopping three apricots on one of our trees. I think I'll stick to the weather down here. We don't get enough sun on our balcony, so we have flowers instead. Though I have one of those topsy hanging plants that I just need to see if it works.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Linda, seriously I'm ready for 90 degree weather.

Leela, by the time I get one, I probably won't want one :)

Mandy, yes it did, but not as bad. Someday I will live somewhere where the weather isn't completely insane.

kelleen said...

your dedication is inspiring; I'm about to give up on the gardening thing--we have perfect gardening weather, but the bugs and squirrels eat everything in sight!!:) Maybe I need to go to potted everything; let me know how yours works out.

Kay said...

Your garden is great! I'm really impressed. We read "The Carrot Seed" with Oliver and planted some radishes and carrots. It snowed here too so the carrots never came up. But, for the radishes, there's a lot of thinning to do because he had a hard time not piling too many seeds together in one hole. My dad had a tractor when I was little. It made him happy too. I miss it.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Kell, right after I posted this, I noticed the birds have been ravaging my plants. It is always a constant battle!

Kay, I spread way too many radish seeds too! Big toys for daddies are apparently the best :)