Monday, October 10, 2011

Whinging: a Winner Among Words

Anywho, I think it's been the requisite month since I last posted, so here I am.  And here I am whinging (I love the British-ness of that word).

I've decided it's much harder for me to post when I don't have any photos to go with it.  How boring of me to just put up a bunch of words!  Kudos to those of you who can still do it effectively.

Well, I've been working at my current job, another for-profit private college library, for about a month.  It has some good things and some bad things (as with, well, any job).  I'll try to iterate some of the things I like and dislike about it without getting too whiny.  But, since I'm primarily a glass-half-empty kind of gal, maybe skimming the following would be best:

Like:
1- BENEFITS! 
This is the number one thing that this job has going for it.  We get health insurance (and pay pretty good monthly premiums) and it includes dental and vision.  This makes me happy (and heave a sigh of relief, since I've been without for the last four months).  We've yet to use it, but we darn well better!
It also includes contribution to a 401k plan and paid sick/personal leave and vacation time.  The company is definitely trying to look out for its employees.

2- Library Stuff:
That's right, folks, this is an actual librarian job.  As you may recall from previous whining sessions, my former job had some very broad descriptions of what a "librarian" would do.  These included, but were not limited to, taking roll in classes, distributing toothbrushes, and handing out anesthetics.  At this job, while there are some new responsibilities, I think they at least lend themselves more to what I think a librarian should do (though, I still run into the idea that since I'm just "sitting there all day" I am the go-to person for proctoring exams and other such "babysit students" jobs.  So much for reference services...

3 - $$$:
Hey, let's just say, I'm making more than before and since we were essentially income-less for several months, I am not going to complain about the regular flow of dough into our account.  Though, it could certainly be more :)

Dislike:
1- COMMUTE!!!
And this is the number one thing I loathe about this job.  Since we chose to live in a somewhat distant suburb of Phoenix, most of the jobs I was able to find were located closer to downtown.  It has been a frustrating up and down battle with traffic every day and I still find myself getting crotchety with road rage, but I think the addition of some excellent audio books, I'm managing it.  I still feel grumpy sometimes when I add the nearly two hours on the road each day to my already long hours and discover I spend almost half of a day away from home (11 hours).  But I try to focus on the fact that I'm employed and we might just be getting our first home in the next few months.  That helps ease the pain.

2- Bureaucracy:
So, even though I went from one for-profit to another, I had not experienced (this much) fun at my previous job.  This is a much bigger company and therefore has many, many (many!) more hoops to jump through and policies to be oriented on.  I have no problem with policies, but here's an example of what aggravates me: my computer is in a room with the computers students use, and therefore it is essentially "wiped" every night.  I can save things in my documents, but no changes to desktop, programs, or anything can be done.  Downloading a new version of a program?  Must be approved.  Downloading a new program?  Don't count on it.  I've gotten so annoyed at the daily popping up of reminders for my printer's ink level (which is fine, thank you) to the newest version of every program needing installation, that I've nearly poked my eye out.  I haven't done anything about them, as I'm quite certain as soon as I get approval for one version, a new one will begin popping up.  I just feel so regulated that I'm nervous to move the library chairs without getting permission from every manager up to the top.  Ok, enough on that...

3- Lack of communication:
I am finding this is the biggest problem in really any organization or company.  I just went through a giant discussion fiasco where my manager and another involved individual (who, by the way, are RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO ONE ANOTHER) were giving me conflicting reports on what I needed to be doing on a certain issue.  And I didn't even realize it was conflicting (well, I noticed I got no responses from the other individual when I sent emails) until I finally asked her in person.  Then, when I finally was informed the issue was resolved, the very next day my manager is telling people the same thing as before (despite it being decided a different way).  Seriously, people, I'm quite certain that #2 above prevents me from making this decision, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it.  I mean, I'm the last person to speak up about stuff (I know, you're shocked) but when I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, I'll at least ask.  Now if only I could get some consistent answers...

I'm sure you noticed that my dislikes of the job were much longer.  I am happy to be employed, especially when I see so many not employed.  I am (sorta) happy I have so many things to do all day, instead of just sitting around reading (wait...).  But I will admit I'm still checking now and again on some job sites, just in case something a little closer and maybe a little more like what I want to be doing will pop up.

3 comments:

kelleen said...

aww Moley,hang in there! So sorry about the commute (phoenix traffic really does stink!) and everything else;hope things start working out better for you soon. I LOVE that you post your new reads--I always need ideas for new books! You have such a knack for finding the humor in every situation, and put things in a more positive light. Thinking of you and wishing you the best!
love, Kell

leela said...

Another great post. That would be so annoying to have your computer troubles. I think that would bother me more than the commute. But commuting is no fun either. I am glad you have an income!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

kell, it does take the cake for wretched traffic, though I've not commuted much before, so maybe I don't know how bad it can be :) And thanks for making me think I was positive, even if I wasn't!

Leela, yeah the computer is still giving me grief, even as I've kind of adjusted to the drive.