Wednesday, December 7, 2011

30-Something and Other Tragedies

So.  A few months ago, I had the Big Birthday.  At least, the one that's been the biggest for me thus far.  Honestly, it wasn't much.  We are still trying not to spend lots of money, so we decided to go for a hike.  In the desert.  It was...hot.  We went to a "waterfall" which actually did not have any water falling.  There was some water that was festering in pools, but it doesn't really count.  Still, we managed to find some fun things to photograph, because my blog is so boring without pictures (and even with pictures, come to think of it).  Enjoy:

This is, purportedly, where the water falls.  I'm skeptical.

 
More of the same.

A festering pool here.  Don't drink the water.

At least the rock formations were fairly interesting :)

Repeat.

This was the slot-ish canyon where the "water"fall was hiding.

Sunning on a rock.  I'm pretty sure I've never had such hot weather on my birthday before :)

A view from the "mountains" into the valley.

Mug shot.  Don't we look like long-necked geese or something?

And, cue the desert scenery.  Cacti in abundance.

Just to give you an idea of its size...

Doesn't it look so soft and puffy?  Ok, I guess it just looks prickly.  Which it was.

More really tall cacti.  Don't touch the vegetation!

Now that you've seen the most exciting birthday hike ever, you may return to...um whatever it is you do.

7 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Those cacti are huge! The prickly one looks like it could be one of those ornamental corals in a salt water fish tank. I like the rocks too. I like how the water (that once was flowing) eroded the rocks like that...pretty neat pictures. And Happy Birthday too!

Rachel said...

Is this "THE waterfall" you were referring to? And are you quoting a song when you say "Don't drink the water!" 'Cause that's what came to my mind when I read it :)

But...happy birthday! You're 30 years YOUNG!

Can't wait to see you next month!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Mandy, they do look rather like coral don't they?

Rach, it is. Surprise? :) I wasn't thinking of that song, but now that you mention it... Oh we had some interesting taste in music in HS.

leela said...

Happy birthday Melissa. I am glad you had so much fun on your birthday hike. The cactus is enormous, I had no idea they got that big.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

leela, thanks! I was pretty surprised by that cactus myself :)

Kay said...

Happy birthday! Did you see any buzzards out there? It looks like buzzard paradise! I love reading your posts. You make me laugh.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Kay, you know I don't think I did see any buzzards. Maybe in the dead of summer they'll start circling. :)