You know all those sweet family traditions people have at Thanksgiving?
Holding hands around the table or saying what you're thankful for or posting gratitude cards?
My family, while attempting to have gratitude for our blessings, also manages to have a competition.
An eating contest.
It began not too many years ago. My nephews (possibly at the instigation of my husband) decided to have a weigh-in. Before the dinner and after. You know, to see who ate the most (and therefore gained the most). My hubby was the one to win that with some absurd amount of weight gained that I've forgotten (fortunately).
The following year (or perhaps the same one, my memory is not that great), they decided to even things up between small kids and big husbands (oops, did I just type that? And then leave it in?). We calculated the % of weight gain in comparison to original weight. This skewed the contest decidedly in the direction of my skinniest nephew, who triumphed easily.
This year, we decided to balance the odds even more - a combination of total gain and % of gain. And, unfortunately, this year I decided to participate. Just for kicks.
Eating for competition is not very fun.
I am a huge fan of food, particularly the food we have for Thanksgiving. Potatoes and rolls and turkey and especially pie. But too much of a good thing is, well, not good. And I had too much.
I didn't hurl or anything of that unfortunate nature, but I did feel rather sick for several hours. And I wasn't able to enjoy much pie. And I learned my lesson, especially since I only gained a measly 3 lbs.
I think my family did too (my nephew gained 8 pounds by drinking a truckload of water and my brother felt so sick he had to lie down for several hours). Next year, I will simply be thankful and eat what I want (and no more). But there's no telling what the others will do...
The "Final Weigh-in" Photos:
Let's hope your family has more gratitude-oriented traditions than mine. I guess we'll have to work on that!
2 comments:
Oh gosh that sounds kind of gross. How many people got sick?
Mandy, well no one threw up, but there was at least one very sick and myself, sorta sick. My nephew that won didn't really feel ill (after all, he just drank a very healthy amount of water). Still, I think many of us learned our lesson to appreciate food, but not be gluttonous :)
Post a Comment