We've been on the hunt for a house. Those of you who have purchased one already probably understand that it is horrifying. Even more so in the current market here in Arizona. It's such an up and down roller coaster ride that I almost feel like I'm back in the dating market (a place I never want to be again). Here are my top five ways that finding a house is like finding a spouse:
5- Sometimes it feels like a game and you don't know all the rules.
You know how dating feels like this stupid game with changeable rules and no clear winner? That's kind of how I feel. "They" play the music, you do the dance. I have no idea what to expect next. Terrifying.
4 - Appearances can be deceiving.
Just like that really cute guy who acts like a total moron, houses might look really nice on the outside (or in the pictures) but when you get up close and personal, you can see every flaw.
3 - There's no such thing as the perfect one.
If you are trying to find the perfect spouse, good luck with that. Just as there's no perfect match for you, there's no perfect house. If you look hard enough, something nasty or annoying or just plain ugly will show up. You gotta decide what you can live with.
2 - It always seems the odds are never in your favor.
It always felt like no matter where I went, there were two or three girls for every guy. In just such a way, there are always two or three (or four or five) bidders and investors (don't get me started on them) for every house.
1 - The good ones get snatched up right away.
Unfortunately, still true when looking for a house. The good-looking nice ones are always the first to go, so you gotta be on the prowl :)
Seriously, what a headache. I'll have to give y'all some statistics when (if?) we manage to get ourselves a house. It is just as crummy as dating. And you can't even make out with a house.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Five Ways House Hunting is like Dating
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
3:41 PM
Labels: adventures outside the library, homeownership adventures, laugh it up, me - what more can I say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Totally true! Funniest thing I have read in a long time! Hang in there, sometimes dates can surprise you and so can houses. Just like men, you will know the right one when you see it! Just don't settle and ask a million questions even if you feel like an idiot doing so. It's worth it.
Amy, thanks for the encouragement - I could really use it. We are negotiating on two right now, one is lovely on the inside, but on a tiny lot and the other is foreclosed and needs new flooring, but has a yard I can do stuff with. It's such a grown up thing to do, and I don't know if I'm grown up enough :)
Wow house hunting what fun! :) I'd go for the one with the yard. Oh how I wish I had a yard. My balcony is only so big and doesn't get much sunlight so we can't grow anything edible.
So it looks like you'll be staying in Arizona for awhile then? Seriously go from one extreme in temperature to the other. You should try San Diego, it's nice here and not far away from heat or snow.
Mandy, it's definitely...fun... I am really looking forward to a yard so I can grow things! I sure wish we could live somewhere nice year round, like SD, but I'm quite sure we wouldn't be able to afford living there :)
Post a Comment