Today, the parents sent us out on our own to explore and blunder through a language we didn't understand. It was delightful. Fortunately, I was already somewhat familiar with the places we visited, since I'd seen them on Sunday. So, we headed out on the delightful public transport (well, only delightful if you don't get a whiff of your neighbor's bath-less armpit) to the Spilberk Castle.

Me and the water-less waterfalls

Vince at the gateway to the castle grounds

Czech out them fortress walls! (Pun totally and flagrently stolen)

Obligatory shot with cannon (oh, I'm on a roll)

He didn't want to be left out of the doorway shots either!

I got a real kick out of these gateways - we were about to embark on a tour behind them!

Nearing the entrance to the Casemates (aka the dungeons)

These are the not-so-bad dungeons (though I wouldn't want to be stuck there)

About to enter the very-bad-dungeons

Doorways for the short (and unfortunately tall)

Cells for the high security prisoners - these dungeons were so bad (cold, damp, cramped) that a huge number of prisoners died in their first year of being here. It was really sad to see the conditions. Not only because of the way it was long ago, but because the Nazis used these dungeons during their occupation here.

Started to get a bit claustrophobic at the end. Is it just me or are the walls closing in?

Vince didn't want to be left behind

After we made it out, we headed toward the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul - this is like the place that can be seen all over the city (you know, a beacon on a hill)

The walk down from the castle is very pretty


Right up close to the cathedral - it was quite tall

and gorgeous too

Rising above the buildings below it (rather like a temple in that respect...)
We didn't climb to the top of the spires. I think we'd had enough of tall towers, long stairs, and dizzying heights. We also managed to wend our way through the shops at the center of town all by ourselves. It's amazing how well you can thrive in a city where you definitely don't speak the language. If you don't buy anything, anyway :)
3 comments:
You have one sweet camera and talent to go with it--such clear shots, they all look like something from a postcard. Thanks for the education about the Czech Republic-had no idea about any of this cool stuff!
Merry Christmas!!
Thanks Kell! I actually enhance them with Photoshop, so they look better :)
The arches are so beautiful. Like the ones at the entrance to the castle and the casemates. Just the little historic jail in Park City seemed pretty creepy to me so I'm happy I wasn't with you in some of those photos. What an amazing city. I love it!
Post a Comment