Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 8, Part Two: Get Me to the Church!

Ok, ok, you may have noticed I haven't posted in about three weeks. I am really trying to finish up these photos from our trip so I can move on. Maybe before Christmas? :) I took an excellent photo of my chocolate silk pie from Thanksgiving, so I really have to post that! But, anyway, after the Technical Museum, my mom took us around to see the local Brno churches:


These are actually not a church (I know, you're shocked) but more of those plague columns - I tell you they are ubiquitous!


Here we have the Parnassus Fountain, about which I remember exactly nothing - it is located right in the middle of the vegetable market though!


Hey, look, it's finally a church! This one is, oddly enough, called the Red Church, but it is actually a church of the Moravian Brethren, about which I know even less than the Parnassus Fountain. It sure is pretty though. You may recall having seen it from the top of the Spilberk Castle wall.


Shot of same church, complete with tram tracks and telephone pole wires.


The church of St. Thomas. Very white.


Here we have the church of St. James, which we actually got a tour of by a man who spoke a very interesting dialect of English. I understood not much, but I took some great photos of the inside:


Beautiful woodwork for something...I think "judges" of some sort sat here? Man, sorry I don't remember anything...


View of the gorgeous windows behind the altar and the lovely vaulted ceilings. I never tire of seeing this kind of stuff...


...as you can see from this picture of the same thing, just from farther away.


More lovely wood carving, this time on the benches.


These are the stairs leading to the pilgrim pulpit (hey, I remembered something) - carved in marble, they were beautiful. I think people who made pilgrimages would get up there and "bear testimony" so to speak.


This is actually the back side of St. James, where the beautiful windows are.

And that's it for Day 8 on our extremely belated, not very informative tour of Brno churches. Hope I can get up our photos from the casemates of Spilberk Castle before another three weeks are gone - they were extremely interesting!

1 comments:

Ashley said...

This is kind of awkward, but what is your last name? Either post it on my private blog or email jon.