Monday, March 26, 2012

Home Improvement... Maybe

As you all may remember, we were in the market for a house and despite the delightful ups and downs of that, we managed to close on one at the beginning of March. We've been homeowners for over 20 days and it's continued to be a roller coaster. The house was a foreclosure, so we expected to put work into it (um, also it smelled like a dog had been living there and...doing other things freely there), so we've been trying to make it more habitable. Needless to say, it has been a very busy, very tiring three weeks and this is our last week to do improvements before we move it. (Yes, we've been renting still - that is a story for another post.) And, since you've seen nothing of our dog house (heh heh), I thought I'd give you a little taste of the progress.

This is the room we like to call the library, mostly because I intend to fill it with bookcases and books.  I know, my photo taking skills are amazing.


Looking from the living room to the kitchen.  You may notice some mysterious stains on the carpet there.  That is what led us to the next photo...

Oh, goodbye carpet.  We do NOT miss you or your smells (though, it does still linger in the bedroom, unfortunately).

This is the library again, sans stinky carpet.  There also appeared to be mold underneath it.  No worries, I bleached that concrete like nobody's business.



Which brings us to...
Hello, easy snap-together laminate flooring!  (And friendly helper Alex who was kind enough to give us a hand, which Vince obviously needed as you'll see below.)


Here is that first delightful row in place, a moment I managed to historically capture, right before we realized that we were putting it in backwards (which was why it was proving not as "easy" and "snap-together-y" as advertised).  Ah, at least it was only the first row!

Finally on the right track! 

This is all we managed that first day, but it was progressing quite nicely.  You'll also notice that our paint job which looks ok in some of the photos above looks horrifying here.  Don't get me started on it, I'm still trying to like it :)

And yes, there has been further progress (the library and the living room are both finished, except for the extra hard parts of cutting boards to fit in weird places), but that is the end of my downloaded photos for now.  I'll let you know when I get more stuff downloaded, but don't hold your breath.  It's going to be a very busy week.

6 comments:

Cheltz said...

Big improvement! If it's any consolation, I was absolutely convinced (and Woo was too) that I had totally ruined my house the first time I painted a wall. It's really hard to tell how it will all look before you have all of your stuff in there. In fact, I always have a what-have-I-done?? moment every time I paint a room, until I finish it all up and tinker around with my furnishings.

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow that's a lot of work to do. We can hardly wait to see finished photos. How is the yard?

kelleen said...

the floors are looking great so far, and I'm with Cheltz--I am famous for hating every room I paint for the first week, then I put pictures on the walls, move my furniture in, and it finally looks like the color I had wanted in the first place & I end up loving it. It's going to look fab!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Cheltz, actually that does make me feel better, knowing how recently you've been doing changes to your house. I think the colors have grown on me. Or I just can't see them with all the stuff in the way :)

Mandy, the yard is barren, mostly. There's one tree and the rest is dirt. Lots of potential, I guess :)

Kell, thanks! I'm hoping that will turn out ok for us too.

leela said...

This house has some great potential. Nice big rooms and big windows. I am excited to see what you do with it.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thanks, Leela. I hope we get it to live up to that potential...eventually.