Monday, January 28, 2008

A Prophet






I too, like several other friends of mine, wish to post something about President Hinckley's passing. Despite the fact that I did not learn about it until this morning when I uncharacteristically turned on the radio to hear the weather, I still want to post a little something in memory and perhaps to inspire some thought.

First, though these friends did a much better job than myself in expressing themselves, I will still try. I admit, I have not cried. I wanted to, and nearly did a few times, but I just kept picturing in my head, the prophet, returning to the arms of our Savior, and being told "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, (or I might add, MANY things) I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:21) I also thought of his happy reunion with his wife. I can't imagine how long those years seemed while they were separated.

What I find so interesting is that most people in the Church (and the world) did not know President Hinckley personally. Yet most of us feel a personal loss. Why is that? How is it possible to feel so connected to one we never met (I did have an opportunity about 12 or so years ago to be within a few feet of him during a building dedication, though I didn't shake his hand). Is it simply a feeling of unity that we feel as members of a church that he led with such dignity and love? Is it that he made his messages seem so personal and individual that we all seemed to imagine he spoke to our hearts? Is it that many of us grew up with him as the mortal figurehead of the church? Is it just that he was so lovable and humorous and compassionate a character that he reminded us of who he truly represented on the earth? What are your thoughts or reasons?


4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I think we've all been so personally affected by his passing because we all believe that he was a living prophet of God on earth and because we believe with every part of our hearts that the Gospel he was called to teach is true. We are all connected to each other by our testimonies of the Gospel and our love for Christ and our knowledge of the fact that we are brothers and sisters.

...Or something, anyway, to that effect that I can't quite put into words.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Lindsay! I think they were well-put! And I whole-heartedly agree. Something so cool about feeling connected to people all over the world with similar beliefs!

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

Well, first I would like to say that I have not cried either, but I do feel like I "should" have. I did not know him personally, but many of his talks and even just his kindness and charity have touched me in ways that have made my life so much better. I truly believe that with his passing we should celebrate his life, and all he was able to accomplish. After reading his biography a couple of years ago I realized how much he has done to shape the church. Secondly, you realize how he was groomed to serve as the president and prophet of our church. From the time he was small until he was working with as an assistant to the President. He truly devoted his life to the church - something we all would "like" to do but so many other things get in the way. I believe that he is with his wife, something we could all see that he yearned for the past few years - yet was willing to stay until the next person was ready to step into his shoes. He served with faith, dignity, and love that I have never seen from another person. It was my first general conference as an investigator of the church that made me realize what a prophet really was today...that they were a normal person with a phenominal ability to serve and guide. For that he will be missed. I will miss listening to his talks and wondering if he had been spying in my journal. I will miss his jokes about his age. I will miss how much he loved his wife and family. But most of all I will miss what an example he was to all of us. When I think of Christ-like love President Hinckley is the one person on Earth I know that was full of it - always being guided and directed by the spirit. But, as he taught, those who come after him and take his place will fill the same shoes, perhaps with different jokes and a different background - but they are the one who is meant to lead, an soon we will feel the same type of connection. I think that connection comes from a recognition of something we knew from before we came to Earth - and that is seeing the true Christ-like love for others that is so rare today.

lori said...

This is a BEATUIFUL post, Melissa! There WAS such a feeling of personal connection with President Hinckley! And I think I felt that connection for the very reason you mentioned - President Hinckley was a reminder of the Savior to me.

Really loved this post - and everyone's comments.