Sunday, September 14, 2008

Midget Mutant Corn and Other Garden Products

With the garden wrapping up (hopefully), I thought I would post just some of the fun we had with corn. My parents have been planting corn for as long as I remember, and boy does that fresh from the garden corn on the cob taste great! So, we thought we would give it a shot.

The first row we planted turned out some pretty tasty, albeit tiny, cobs.

The second row...well, this is what I like to call the "mutant corn" row. You will notice from this picture


that the corn did not grow very tall. Hence, the "midget-y-ness."

Also, it tended to produce some very strange-looking specimens. Most of them were just weird shaped and didn't get many ripe kernels. The weirdest of all, however, had to be this:

Yes, that is one husk, two ears. Definitely something in the water. Or the corn. Or the gardeners. :)

But, no worries, these puny rows of corn did provide me with something more than just entertainment:

Now they will be my free autumn decorations!

In the "Other Garden Products" category, we have this little slugger:


Nothing beats a zucchini bat!

And despite our previous setback, we did get a few very delicious watermelons:




Though the (tiny) cantaloupe featured in this photo got left a little too long (when I went to pick it, some bugs fell out of the bottom. I opted not to try it.)

And as a preview of what we have been bombarded with the past week, but which probably warrants its own post:


(If you can see behind the tree in the front of this photo, you may notice there are two other trees full of peaches as well...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that skirt!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Embarrassing to admit: the skirt's a hand-me-down from Christine's maternity box. No, I'm not pregnant, just bigger than she is when she's pregnant :)

Rachel said...

That's a crazy ear of corn!

Ashley said...

This reminds me of the time Homer started a farm and tried to grow tomatoes and tobacco. He somehow got a hold of some glowing fertilizer(from the nuclear plant) and next thing you know he's picking bushels of Tomacco! No one will buy them at first so Homer feeds them to the goats. The goats find the glowing fruit very tasty, but once its gone, the nicotine kicks in and things get pretty crazy...

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Wow. I guess Homer and I have more in common than I thought. That's pretty scary, actually. Though, I might like some glowing fertilizer next year...