Since it has been such a long time since I talked about our garden (boy, seems like there isn't much else going on in my life is there?) I thought I would do a little update on the goods. To put it succinctly, it is still producing prodigiously. (Though, we haven't had anything as big and exciting as this!) Here are a few stories in pictures (and a few words, I guess :)

Dang we were excited about this melon - it was so big (for a home grown one anyway) and it looked so good (my husband's the one on the right ;)

...unfortunately, you can also see, it was not ripe :( I had checked all the "signs" for picking ripe ones, but I guess I read them wrong. Needless to say, we were devastated. But, things are looking better since we have more melons on the vine(s).

We had an unusually large (like 30 maybe) crop of these really juicy and sweet plums. They were so good, I was reluctant to share them with anyone. Which is why the last 5 or so got too ripe and had to be thrown away. Too bad I still am learning about sharing...

Almost my favorite crop - these are sugar sweet (cherry-sized) tomatoes. At first, I didn't know they turned orange when ripe (I kept waiting for red). They are the yummiest variety I've ever planted (hmm...have I planted any varieties before?)

Whilst we did get a few (very tasty) cobs of corn from our crop, I will have to post some pictures later of the other kinds of corn we got...

Didn't know apples were ripening? Neither did we. After noticing a large number of them on the ground, we asked my parents. Apparently you are supposed to pick them before they fall. Oops.



3 comments:
Love the gardening posts! So fun you guys are! Hope you continue to enjoy your harvest!
Wow I'm so jealous! My plum trees (at my parents house of course) get attacked by birds every year. The darn things eat my plums every year. Then my dog attacks the apple tree so there goes that. This year I got smart and planted things in the pool area-Dog free zone, unless she's swimming. Pesky rabbits attacked there. Got some funny looking cucumbers which tasted nasty, some tiny bell peppers that were good and have a few cantaloupe and honeydews hopefully ripening on the vine right now. Last year I put nylon socks around my fruit growing on the ground and that kept critters away, but it also ripened the fruit really fast. I had tiny cantaloupes that were absolutely delicious and a tiny watermelon too. They fall off the vine when they're ripe :)
Yeah, we have some dwarf cantaloupe as well - hope it tastes good. We spray our fruit trees, so that might be why they don't get pecked by birds (though, they have actually been getting our peaches suddenly :)
Post a Comment