Sunday, August 9, 2009

Farmer's Market? Who Needs One!

I realized I haven't really posted much about our delightful garden this year. Well, in order to sate your desires to hear about it, I will now let you know how it's going.

Despite these little visitors, we managed to get a large supply of these:

(not quite as many as last year, but more than enough for us)

Though, our pumpkin plant(s) did not fare so well (and probably will not produce any pumpkins).

And also, in spite of the disastrous spring weather, we picked almost a bucket full of these:

Which is a far cry from what we had last year!

We also had a fairly small harvest of these beauties:

Which made for less jam and less work...

Our best vegetable (so far) has been far and away these:

Which have done amazingly well (and gotten quite large as well).

We've had just about the right amount of these:

Though, we always seem to have extra :)

And not nearly enough of these for my taste:


Really, only two of these, but none in the regular green flavor :(


Despite my attempts to cut back on the number of these plants this year (I guess planting too many runs in my blood), we have loads of these:

(mostly of the small variety)

And just in time for our trip to another country, these are ripening (dang!)


And a moderate amount of these most delicious treats:


Sigh. I am almost missing my garden while away. Not the work, of course, just the food :)

7 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Oh my goodness I'm so jealous! I haven't done a thing with my mom's garden this summer and now my summer has come to an end. I go back to work tomorrow. I do have a garden at work to prepare, so hopefully I'll have something to talk about next year...or at least in the winter when none of your stuff is growing, I'll be able to tell you how many winter veggies we have growing :) We also got hit this year with some crazy weather. I used to pick all our plums from Peter's parents' tree...this year the tree didn't produce a single plum...we were so bummed. We've had to buy all the fruit we've jammed.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I am sure I will feel very jealous of your winter garden - one of the definite benefits of year-round warm weather (someday, I will have it too!!!)

Kay said...

Delights indeed. The peaches remind me of the old welfare farm. I swear some, if not all, of those babies where as big as my head. And if you could survive the fuzz they tasted like heaven.

Kay said...

I know... I was suppose to be PICKING not eating, but our Bishop let us take just one home if we stayed the whole time.
I can't wait to see photos of the trip Mully, I hope you're having a wonderful time!

Rachel said...

wow! now that i have to buy my own groceries i can't help but think of all the $$$ you save by growing your own! looks so yummy!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Sure you actually picked the peaches Kay...:) I am so excited to blog about my Czech adventures!

Rach, I sometimes wonder if I actually do save much $$ - but it sure feels good not to have to buy some stuff!

leela said...

So much hard work there. But it looks like it paid off. How did you get peaches? I guess I should check my trees and see if there's anything.