Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Hideously Rotten

We watched some movies from the library a few days ago. Here is the report:




I thought I had heard "good" things about this one. Well, if I did, they were incorrect. Lest ye think that it was somehow inappropriate, it was quite clean. It was just plain awful. The storyline, while it may have been a cute idea, was really badly portrayed. The characters were sappy and the acting was pretty bad. I just about started crying half-way through. And it wasn't because it was so touching. Really, I just don't recommend it.





On the other hand, the good things I had heard about this movie, were all quite true. I have no idea why it took me so long to see it finally. Absolutely a riot. Danny Kaye is a true comedian. I love old-fashioned humor. A definite recommend: for seeing and purchasing.






After watching that first painfully bad movie, I was reminded of another rotten film that we watched a while ago. Some LDS films are pretty good, but I really couldn't handle this one. We rented without having heard anything about it (we really should have looked, since there have to be copious amounts of bad reviews out there) and were just plain disappointed. The biggest flaw? They spent a large portion of the film developing side plots that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the story. After mounds of sappy dialog and painfully cheesy lines (I can handle quite a lot of cheese too), I was pretty much done. Recommendation: don't bother.





But, since I just finished the book that goes along with this movie, I thought I would shout its praises. We saw this after it came out on DVD. What a great story! I wish I had known more about Wilberforce before. He was a really incredible figure. Highly recommend the book and the movie. It makes me wish I had more motivation for promoting good causes...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ditto to "The Love Letter." I saw it on TV several years ago and -- gag! No good.

Also, ditto to "Amazing Grace." After hearing rave reviews about it from my mom, I finally was able to track down a copy (appropriately, from her collection). So fantastic! I had the book checked out from the library, but had to turn it in before I had a chance to read much from it....I'll have to give it another try someday.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Definitely finish reading it sometime. So good.