Friday, May 2, 2008

A Pure Form of Art

I recently read a fabulous fantasy book that put me in mind of a great essay I read once by J.R.R. Tolkien. Even if you are not a reader, you have probably heard of him. In The Tolkien Reader, there is an essay (found in the section "On Fairy Stories") taken partly from a lecture Tolkien gave back in 1938, before his epic Lord of the Rings was published. In this really clear and beautifully written essay, Tolkien expounds on the reasons fantasy literature is so important and why we want (or should want) to read it.


One thing I love is that he thinks it a tragedy that many adults consider fantasy to be limited to the realm of children's literature. If adults read fantasy, it is just weird and certainly wouldn't be because of its actual story. Of course, one of the things I hate about society today is that many people consider children's and young adult literature to be inferior. Personally, I find some of the stuff directed at youth to be equal in quality (and sometimes exceeding in quality) to adult's literature. I love the juvenile and teen sections at my library. Some adult literature uses pompous and wordy language that is just extraneous and usually ridiculous. When authors write to younger audiences they (usually) just say what they mean, even if it is less beautiful and flowery that way. (I actually do like lots of adult lit though...)

He goes on in the essay to discuss some of the great things fantasy literature can accomplish. This quote I find particularly astute: speaking of fantasy, he says it is “not a lower but a higher form of Art, indeed the most nearly pure form, and so (when achieved) the most potent.” The unique nature of fantasy allows for the story and often the themes to clearly stand out. It is one of the clearest ways I know of to incorporate religious ideas and morals into a story (great example: C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia).

So, enough blah-blah and get to the book rec right? I just finished The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison.




I thought it was a really beautiful story that doesn't have the expected "happy ending" of many fantasy-fairy-tale stories. I liked that about it. I also really liked the fact that the princess from
the title isn't the narrator or even the most important character. The whole story is told through the prince's eyes and his point of view. If you are a fan of Shannon Hale's Goose Girl stuff, I think you will like this too.

And if you hate fantasy, maybe you should try again. It really is great stuff! :)

1 comments:

lori said...

Amen - fantasy can be great stuff! Thanks for the book rec! It looks good!