Friday, February 27, 2009

Anesthetizing and Spiked Buses

My husband had surgery on Tuesday afternoon. It was nothing major, but he did get general anesthetic. Which I think has to be one of the world's awesomest things ever. Mostly because when you are waking up, words come out of your mouth that just don't make sense. Crazy talk. Here is what came out of my husband's mouth:

"The guy let me put the stuff in."

My face says, "What?" But my mouth says, "Uh huh." Humor the crazy talk.

"He said that the only one who didn't do it was a girl."

I look around, wondering if this is normal (hey, I've had surgeries, but never been awake enough to know what I was saying), then just nod my head.

He keeps talking about the guy letting him put the stuff in. As he becomes more coherent, he mentions that the "stuff" was the anesthetic. Which, by default, makes "the guy" the nurse anesthetist. I still really had no idea what he was talking about, but he seemed to think it was really something to "put the stuff in."

I finally began to understand, after further discussion, that they let him squeeze the syringe with anesthetic to see if he could stay awake enough to get it all in. Some kind of contest. And the only person who hadn't been able to finish was a girl. Which made it more of a manly contest.

Crazy talk, indeed.

And now on to the spiked buses. While driving to work this morning, I became aggravated by a bus in front of me. Buses drive slowly, so I changed lanes to speed by him. My husband, who rides the bus fairly frequently, began to tell me how sometimes it is hard for bus drivers to get from one stop to another because they must cross three lanes of traffic in 50 yards. And nobody seems to want to let them over.

I know I don't want to be behind a bus.

So, we came up with some sensible solutions to this dilemma.

You can see where this is going.

I thought they should have some kind of retractable hand that pops out the side and points toward the bus stop they have to get to.

Vince suggested they put those stop signs that school buses have that require other lanes of traffic to stop. Or a yield sign, maybe.

Then, I had an even better idea. I decided they should get spikes on their wheels. You know, like on car racing shows. Suddenly the bad guy's car wheels pop out spikes and slash the good guy's car. Tell you what, if bus wheels had spikes, I would definitely let them over.

Brilliant.

Moral of the post: You don't need anesthesia to talk crazy.

4 comments:

kelleen said...

I just love reading your blog- I always get a good laugh from your wit. Speaking of you and laughter... I had this sudden memory of peach cobbler, from a long time ago, and had to chuckle in spite of myself!

Peter and Mandy said...

You are hilarious!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the laugh. I used to work in the OR when they did surgeries and my favorite part was hearing the people wake up! hah!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Kell, I don't know WHAT you're talking about! Me and cobbler? Seriously.