Wednesday, February 11, 2009

If You Chance to Meet a Frown

Since we all have wretched days, I thought I'd share something that helped me smile that frown away.

On Sunday, I sat down to read a few articles from the last general conference. It just so happened that I turned to this one by President Uchtdorf. About hope. It was exactly what I needed to read at that moment. I found this statement packed particular punch:

Hope is not knowledge, but rather the abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promise to us. It is confidence that if we live according to God’s laws and the words of His prophets now, we will receive desired blessings in the future. It is believing and expecting that our prayers will be answered. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance.
I felt this right down in my grumpy, cold heart. And I tried to take it into that grumpy, cold heart.

Then I found that the very next talk was even more of a kick in my pessimistic pants. It was this one by the late Elder Wirthlin. I laughed at Elder Wirthlin's family stories and thought how marvelously wise he was to be able to laugh at those things while they were happening. I found his advice to "learn to laugh" was just what I needed. In fact, I even laughed when he mentioned me in his talk. Don't remember that part? Well, I was the "angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam." Oh, how true that is.

And I laughed.

How therapeutic that is.

So, I stored that in my grumpy, cold heart for future use. You see, I also read this section, and it made perfect sense to me.
How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can’t—at least not in the moment. I don’t think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don’t think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.
It just so happens, I am in the midst of a little trial (and aren't we all, really?) Sometimes it turns my warm, living heart into a grumpy, cold thing. And sometimes it turns my smile into a frown.

But, you see, the day was not over yet.

Then, we went to church.

Guess what the talks were about?

Hope

You remember. That small but powerful thing I tried to get into my grumpy, cold heart?

I think it may have gotten the message.

I sure hope so.

1 comments:

kelleen said...

What a sweet& true post-I loved those talks too-I think we all need to be reminded of hope now and again. hope whatever it is that's trying you will soon run out it's course and will lead to more happiness to come :)