Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lessons from Toddlers

Or What I Learned in Nursery:

  • Successful nursery classes are when no one gets injured. (Thus far, I have been the only casualty: a tennis-ball-sized bruise is a small price to pay for child-survival.)
  • Having a large lap is a bonus feature. Two kids on one lap - a feat worth of acclamation.
  • When a toddler says he needs to go potty, he usually means he should have gone ten minutes ago.
  • If you don't have a picture or other fascinating object, don't bother with the lesson.
  • Every kid likes bubbles. Even twelve-year-olds.
  • When you are three-and-under, every adult female is called "mommy."
  • If a toddler doesn't like you, she will run screaming from you. No guessing games.
  • Most children under two haven't learned how to drink from a regular cup. Keep a lot of paper towels around.
  • Children don't care if you don't sing well as long as you make exaggerated facial expressions while you do it.
  • There is nothing unmanly about playing with dolls.
  • If there isn't enough for every single child, don't bring it.
  • If you are excited, the children will be too. If you are tired, they won't be.
  • If a child falls asleep on your lap, enjoy it: you don't have to do any of the cleaning up.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, How I can relate. You put it into perfect words. You should publish that in an Ensign or something. What do you think?

kelleen said...

I am so going to send this off to my mom- she just got called as the nursery leader in her ward a couple of weeks ago is already having some great adventures-you are such a hoot!

Lindsay said...

I've done the whole nursery leader things, and, good job -- you summed that up nicely. It's funny, but, now that I've had experience as the Primary President, I'm amazed at how many of these items would work for the 3-11 year-old set as well. :)

Peter and Mandy said...

On Sunday all the Junior primary teachers were sent to Sunday school while the primary presidency tended our children. We came back for class and they told us we are saints and they'll probably never let us go to Sunday school again. Apparently the kids weren't perfect little angels while we were all gone.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Amy, hm...I'd like to publish something, but I don't know about this list :)

Kell, I am sure your mom will be able to add to this list - wish her luck from me!

Lindsay, I agree - when we taught the 11-12s, they seemed a lot like toddlers in some ways...

Mandy, I wish someone would offer to let us go to Sunday School...but, I fear we would get the same results.

Rachel said...

All of these are VERY true. I hugely agree that as long as there are no ER runs that nursery has been a success.