My husband is taking a human anatomy class. You know the one - the class where you go to the lab for a little hands-on experience. I get the willies just thinking about it. I am so glad I chose a career where hands-on learning is with books, not bodies. (Then again, thank heavens for the people who can handle those classes!)
Anyway, at the beginning of the class, the teacher banned students from saying things like "ew" and "gross." It shows disrespect for the bodies of these once-living humans. I completely agree. It reminded me of my ninth grade biology teacher. When we began the unit on dissection (frogs and the like, not humans) he said we would lose points for saying things like "disgusting" or "gross." (Out of respect for the frogs and grasshoppers?) I nearly lost points one day when I started saying "ew..." but I managed to turn it into an "oooh" followed by a "cool." But, it was a close one.
I think I got a bit more squeamish thinking about that lab because I recently started watching NCIS. For those who don't know, it's one of those crime scene shows.
[Pause for random disclaimer: I don't usually like crime scene shows (with the other exception being Numb3rs...does two exceptions make it not an exception?), but for some reason I really like this show. The only parts I don't like are at the beginning where some poor unsuspecting soul finds a dead body. And it's not like your grandma who died in her sleep. I look away during that part.]
So, I don't know if the squeamishness is part of the after-effects of too much crime scene body-finding or just me being silly. Either way, I will keep closing my eyes at the beginning of the show. And hoping I am not one of those unfortunates who discovers the body.
Do you get squeamish?
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Anatomy of a...Human
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
10:02 AM
Labels: me - what more can I say?, random stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Yeah, I get so squeamish about bodily fluids, especially blood. I bet those cadavers have been drained though so they are not as juicy. I agree that it's good some people have the guts (no pun intended) to deal with other people's guts. I like crime shows too, but there are so many out there, like all the CIS shows. I watch Criminal Minds, it's my favorite.
Actually, his teacher made them get special goggles that have covers on the top, bottom, and sides because sometimes "juices" will spurt out. I really don't want to know what kind. I assume it's not blood.
I don't do bodily liquids either. Bloody noses, nasty skinned knees and the like happen at work and I find another teacher to take care of the kids. Should one throw up as in today for example...I run in the opposite direction. The two teachers I work with are better with that and they clean up the mess :)
Bodily fluids alone don't gross me out--like, if someone gashes their finger, I'm likely to just go get them a bandaid.
Human organs, on the other hand, make me totally ill. Bones in unnatural positions (like sticking outside the skin) are also bad. And anything that happens inside a hospital could make me throw up--I don't watch doctor shows.
I can't watch the gore of the crime scene shows-I get too paranoid and have nightmares if I see the crime scenes and scenarios (numb3rs is my favorite of them though :)) Human anatomy didn't bother me all that much; 7 a.m. lab was a little hard on the stomach, and I hated smelling like the chemicals all day every day, but real blood and medical stuff doesn't really phase me (good thing too,eh?) ;)
Kell, I am glad you could handle it :) I get the nightmares and paranoia too, so I try to avoid the more frightening shows or episodes.
My roommate had anatomy lab last semester and she would come home and cook dinner in the same scrubs she wore in the lab. Ew. I went to Bodyworlds a few months ago and found it pretty cool, but I don't know how I feel about touching squishy stuff . . . :)
Um, that sicks me out in many ways, Becca. I make Vince wash his hands, but I hadn't thought about his clothes...paranoia here we come!
Anatomy=SICK. I used to make Albert strip down and put his clothes in a garbage bag and immediately take a shower before he could talk to me. The worst was in dental school they had their own cadavers and they NAMED THEM!!!! Creepy.
Post a Comment