It's that time of the year.
You know, for small furry baby animals.
This, obviously, is not a baby animal.

However, he is small and furry.
And in our back yard.
That's right. Our back yard.
Not too long ago, my husband came running in from outside and wondered if there were wild rabbits 'round these here parts.
I started laughing. (He didn't appreciate it much, but I couldn't help myself.)
Of course, if I hadn't known where the "wild rabbits" came from, I might have wondered too. But, I did. Our neighbors keep them as pets. We figured he would make his merry way back home.
He did not.
But, I still didn't worry. What's the problem with a soft furry friend?
Well, it only becomes a problem when said soft furry friend likes to eat small green things.
Like strawberry plants.
So, last Saturday, to preserve our new green plants, we thought we'd herd the "wild rabbit" back to the neighbor's yard.
Unfortunately, after getting him all the way over there, there was no easy access to their yard. And he got frightened. And ran back to our "safer" yard. And hid in a wood pile that was inaccessible to us larger, slightly-less-furry folk.
We let him be. For a time.
But the little niggling part of my mind that worried about those vulnerable strawberry plants wouldn't let me alone.
So, when we spied our neighbor out in his garden, we begged his assistance in returning the poor lost soul to his hutch. The lost soul really didn't want to go back.
There was a lot of wild running (by us). And a lot of wild jumping (by him). I wish I had it all caught on video.
But, three against one was not in his favor. Especially when the one is so much smaller.
So now, our little friend is safely back in his hutch. I think.
Excuse me while I go check on those strawberry plants.
And in our back yard.
That's right. Our back yard.
Not too long ago, my husband came running in from outside and wondered if there were wild rabbits 'round these here parts.
I started laughing. (He didn't appreciate it much, but I couldn't help myself.)
Of course, if I hadn't known where the "wild rabbits" came from, I might have wondered too. But, I did. Our neighbors keep them as pets. We figured he would make his merry way back home.
He did not.
But, I still didn't worry. What's the problem with a soft furry friend?
Well, it only becomes a problem when said soft furry friend likes to eat small green things.
Like strawberry plants.
So, last Saturday, to preserve our new green plants, we thought we'd herd the "wild rabbit" back to the neighbor's yard.
Unfortunately, after getting him all the way over there, there was no easy access to their yard. And he got frightened. And ran back to our "safer" yard. And hid in a wood pile that was inaccessible to us larger, slightly-less-furry folk.
We let him be. For a time.
But the little niggling part of my mind that worried about those vulnerable strawberry plants wouldn't let me alone.
So, when we spied our neighbor out in his garden, we begged his assistance in returning the poor lost soul to his hutch. The lost soul really didn't want to go back.
There was a lot of wild running (by us). And a lot of wild jumping (by him). I wish I had it all caught on video.
But, three against one was not in his favor. Especially when the one is so much smaller.
So now, our little friend is safely back in his hutch. I think.
Excuse me while I go check on those strawberry plants.
2 comments:
Awww, he is sooo cute! There was another one in the 99 year old neighbor's yard last year, right before it snowed. I saw it there day after day and wondered how it survived all the crazy cats that are everywhere. Then one day he was gone. Hopefully the guy that owns the bunnies got that one back, otherwise, I'm not sure where he ended up.
There was one that wasn't so lucky that was "resting" in Bro Park's yard. I'm sure cats got him anyway.
Post a Comment