We have been looking for apartments to move into when my parents get home in October. I forgot what a hassle it is to find someplace to live (and what a drag it is to move from a roomy house to a cramped one bedroom apartment). However, it is always nice to look at the new possibilities in your life.
As my former roommates know, I have lived in some very low class establishments. What with leaking roofs and closets, I've been at the bottom. Even our first married apartment was not exactly a vision in cinder block and industrial carpeting. I have been feeling like it is time to get someplace nice. A little more upper class. Nothing too fancy, but not a dump.
After looking at some places near Vince's school (which also happens to be quite close to where I work) we ruled out two places of the run-down dump variety and kept two slightly nicer places. And that is where the dilemma comes in.
The first place is what I have dubbed the "happy" place - when we toured it, I really loved it. It was fairly spacious (for a one bedroom) and it felt light, airy, and homey. It had a washer and dryer, though no internet service. Basically, I wanted to search no more.
The second place is very nice, but I simply call it the "cheaper" place. It is actually two bedrooms, but probably not much bigger than the first. It had nice floors and looked pretty new. It comes with free internet service. It also happens to be about $100 cheaper than the first place.
Why, oh why, can't I love number 2?
There was just something about number 1 that makes me want to sign a contract. Now.
So, here is where you can all help me solve this dilemma (or just give me your opinions). Take the poll on the left side of my blog and let me know which place you think we should live.
P.S. We can actually afford both places comfortably in our budget, I guess I am just a cheapskate at heart :)
Friday, May 15, 2009
My Monetary Dilemma
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
7:02 PM
Labels: adventures outside the library, me - what more can I say?, random stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I think the 'happy feelings' are a good sign. Sometimes you get them for a reason.
Peter says good thing you're not buying the place or then you'd be in a dilemma, cause then you're stuck with the place. We both suggest the cheaper place not because it is cheaper, but because it has two bedrooms. We love our two bedrooms and being a teacher our second bedroom is called the PHD (Piled higher and Deeper) room. But someday when a little one comes along we won't have to sell our place to get something bigger. We'll just have to clean out the PHD room.
Peter also suggests looking around for the closest duck pond because that could be the clincher. :)
Hmmm...I voted for the happy place but want to know if you have photos to post to help us make a more informed choice? I'm big into color of counter tops, cupboards, floors, etc. It could change my vote....for now I'll stick with the happy place. If if feels good in your gut it's worth an extra $100 bucks a month if you can afford it.
I am all about listening to your gut feelings--a lot of times they are there for a reason we may not know at the time. If you feel happy while in it and happy while thinking about it, I would definitely take that to heart :)
Thanks for your suggestions and comments - especially for the duck pond thoughts...that could really be the clincher :)
I agree with Linda...sometimes you feel happy about a place for a reason, even if it doesn't have all of the amenities you might like.
Dood, get the happy place! You have earned it (and I speak from experience). If the bedroom's big enough you can always put the crib in there. That's what we do. I think it's way more convenient that way, anyway.
I definitely think you should go with the happy place. You feel that way for a reason.
Thanks for your positive comments - I hope I feel that way for a reason...
i'm definitely an impulse/this-is-it!!! shopper, but i've found that there's usually value in looking a little bit longer. it's possible that you can get the look you want for cheaper...
Post a Comment