When I was eighteen, I had emergency surgery. At that time, I was barely out of high school, just starting college, and just finding myself. I remember my doctor informing me the best thing to do to "cure" the illness he found was to get married and have children. I remember thinking he was crazy. Sure, part of me wanted to find a husband and have all my problems solved. The other part was still a child.
Nine years and multiple interesting treatments later, I've fulfilled the first part of that doctor's prescription - marriage. The second part is proving rather more difficult.
Funny how this elusive "cure" is made less likely by the very condition it purports to fix. I find it rather ironic.
And frustrating.
Though we have only been married for two and a half years, the waiting period feels like forever. I know several people who have experienced this same frustration, most of them for so much longer. I ought to feel like I got it easy compared to them. And I do. But, it doesn't take away from my own frustration.
My first months in nursery seemed like a blessing and a curse. Many people are uncertain whether that calling is to encourage or discourage the replenishing of the earth. I haven't decided either. Spending Sundays with a group of young children both whets my appetite and then rips the feast away at the end. The first time a child called me "mom" I nearly burst into tears. Funny how one small word can evoke so much emotion. I've watched friends and family grow their own little ones and felt my desire strengthen each time.
When it got so I couldn't even look at a child without feeling sad, I knew I had to change. I knew there was a way to face this problem without bitterness and envy. I just had to ask. Part of me did not want to have those feelings taken away. It was a false compensation for what I lacked. But the other part wanted to feel true happiness for others and peace for myself. So I finally stopped asking for what I most wanted and started asking for what I most needed.
And I got it.
What I needed, not what I wanted.
At least, not yet.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
To Be Called Mother
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
9:36 AM
Labels: family-ness, me - what more can I say?, religion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
One of these days, Melissa, you'll be a mother. And when you are, you'll be a dang good one, mark my words.
I had no idea Melissa, after knowing you all these years--I love you dearly and will keep you in my prayers. The heartache is so real and overwhelming, I am so glad you have been able to find strength (and hopefully a little peace too)through the Lord while you wait. In the meanwhile I know you have an awesome "mother heart" that will bless everyone around you. we love you!
Dear Melissa, While I don't understand the heart ache that you are going through waiting to have a child I did want to tell you that your emotions and feelings are real and valid. Even if there are others who have struggled longer with this frustrating situation or who have other struggles that seem so much bigger that does not take away how you are feeling. You have every right to feel frustrated, sad and overwhelmed. Always be hopeful and willing to explore options, I have SO MANY friends who have had very similar experiences trying to have a child. Some have ended up with twins or triplets with the help of IVF, some have had one with other medical methods, others have adopted and some are still deciding what their path will be. Whatever you decide is best for you is the right choice - we're lucky we live in an era where there are so many possibilities. Don't give up, it just may take longer than you had hoped. Love, Rachel
Thank you for writing this. It must have taken a lot of courage, but you have a beautiful way of putting words together.
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I have no idea of the you're feeling, but I love you and I admire your strength.
You guys are the very best! I admit I was embarrassed and worried about posting something so personal, but heck, y'all made me feel so awesome, I might start posting all kinds of "too much information."
Seriously, though, thank you all for the kind comments - they made my month!
I'm so glad you posted this. It was truly beautiful. So full of real emotion and so full of faith! Love you, Melissa! Every time I look at that beautiful picture of Jesus and children that you gave us, I'll have a prayer in my heart for you and for those little ones waiting to come to your home!!
Thanks, Lori! Someday I want to be a mom just like you (though, I think that might be beyond the realm of possibility...)
i'm glad that you're learning useful lessons through all this. it will make you a better mother :) also, don't worry, this wasn't too much info... too much information is when you tell us exactly how and how often you've tried to be a mother (please don't ever :)
Post a Comment