Summer was amazing when I was a kid. The days were spent lazily dreaming, furiously playing, and simply basking in the glory of brilliant sunshine and freedom. Each day rushed past in a flurry of light and water, grass and sky. Those days have passed, but the associations of summer still linger in my mind. I still picture the bluest skies, the greenest grass, the yellowest sunshine, and the reddest berries. Childhood is sweet.
While summer now means trudging to work 5 days a week, spending 8 hours in a windowless sauna, and then driving home caged in an oppressive metal box, I can still return to those sentimental days. As I step from the cool darkness of my house through the door to the brilliant heat of the yard, I remove the shoes confining my feet and take that first step onto the grass. In that moment, the yellowed prickly grass turns lush and soft. The blistering sun mellows. And the adult cares of the day are swept away by a soft whispering breeze.

The glorious, though apparently rather small, back yard swimmin' pool

Every kid's dream - a tree house!

Swingin' in the tire swing

In the Pioneer Day parade (I hope their wagons were a bit roomier :)

The much-anticipated yearly camping trip (don't be fooled by my sad face, I really loved it!)
I'd love to hear some of your childhood summer memories!
(apparently no one remembers anything from their childhood summers :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment