Camping has been a tradition in my family since...before I was born. Every year we pack up some unsavory-but-light food items, along with all the gear necessary (and occasionally some that is unnecessary...) and head out of the hectic-ness of everyday life and into the Uinta Mountains. Unfortunately, without the head of the family, the rest of us didn't manage to pull together a family campout. I assure you, this met with tragedy and sorrow on my part. I even attempted to plan a smaller scale get-away. How did this turn out?
No, it was not to be. This plan, too, was thrust aside on the unhappy account of not having enough time off of work. You may be wondering why we decided to skip this peaceful, relaxing, solitary, natural, and cheap vacation for a fun but overcrowded, noisy, stressful, materialistic, and overpriced one? It all comes down to one thing: counting ones chickens before they are hatched. Oh, yes, I am a victim of this somewhat outdated, but still true, adage. We foolishly purchased our exciting tickets before ensuring we had time off for both fun vacations. We didn't get both weeks off. Only one. Admittedly, we had a marvelous time on our chosen outing. But, I still felt many pangs of sorrow when I came to realize we would not be making the annual camping trip.
To alleviate the sadness, we tried on several occasions to make smaller camping trips - a weekend or overnight campout in a designated campground. Unfortunately, we were plagued by our own last-minute-ness and lack of planning. I even decided just a nice long hike in the mountains would help with the grief. Luck was simply not with us as we got to the trailhead and were informed that it was too muddy to proceed. Yes, it seems that the only day we managed to get into the mountains, it rained. Heavily. So, we finally chose the next best thing (or really, the next-to-last thing): we drove the Alpine Loop.
However, in my efforts to not become obsessed over this little setback, we finally pitched the tent...
Mostly because I won this vicious game of Phase Ten!! ;)
Let us hope that next year, we can make our escape into the mountains!
**And don't forget to vote on the most-exciting-drive-ever poll!**









3 comments:
I would totally take the Disneyland trip over camping. Nothing beats Disneyland.
Looks like you had a good time despite the "fake campingness" of the adventure. (I made up that word.) I LOVE phase ten! I haven't played that game forever!
Ah, Linda, we are different in that respect, though I am very glad we took our Disneyland trip :)
Post a Comment