Wednesday, August 27, 2008

While You Were Sleeping (or vacationing as the case may be)

So, while we were having a delightful time in Disneyland, our garden was going to be in good hands. I had informed all of my nearby siblings to come, pick, eat, and enjoy anything and everything. I also had convinced my kind older brother to take our irrigation turn at 4:30 am.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned.

The water never came, because our elderly chicken-givin' neighbor forgot about the night's event. And apparently, his "hired help" (ie nice young man from church) also forgot. And the other elderly neighbor's children also forgot. So, basically, my brother gets there at a very horrifying time of morning to find no water. Poor guy.

So, when we got home, the plants were looking a bit parched. Fortunately, nothing suffered much from the thirst (except my only pumpkin, but I think I might live :)

And, of course, all my siblings came and picked veggies, right?

Not so much. You see, as many of you can understand, they all have children. Children make schedules of their own. So, none of them made it. Here is a bit of what we found on our return:


A lovely normal-sized cucumber.


A lovely not-so-normal-sized cucumber.


And in case you didn't catch that, here they are side by side:


Yeah, things may have gotten a bit out-of-hand. ;)

*Today is the last day for voting on my poll!!!*

2 comments:

lori said...

WOW! That is quite the cucumber! I love reading your gardening adventures!

Rachel said...

That's huge! I can't grow anything. I'm kind of surprised the kids haven't shriveled and died yet :) I have a VERY BLACK THUMB.