Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Wicked Confession

Am I really making a difference?

I've been pondering on this recently. I absolutely love being a librarian. I love helping people find what they need. I find, despite my whining, that there are rewards even in this job.

However...

We graduated a new class of students just yesterday. I really enjoyed these students and made friends with a few of them. During graduation, there were numerous people recognized and rewarded for their efforts: the students, of course, the faculty, the clinical instructors, all of them very deserving.

But...

I sometimes find myself wishing for just a little recognition. That is my wicked confession. Doesn't everyone crave some kind of reward? (Basically, I'm begging you to tell me I'm not alone :) I know there are many good people who don't seek for rewards; I sure admire those people but don't think I'm one of them.

And yet...

I had one student who brought me a personal, hand-written thank you note. I have a feeling she wrote notes to just about everyone at the college, but somehow, that doesn't diminish the impact she had on me.

I think I'll hang on to that note for a while.

Mostly to remind myself what one person's thanks can do.

5 comments:

leela said...

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It's the same at my job. The majority of employees at my company are either salespeople or computer nerds who are doing the actual work for the company. I am in the "overhead" category since I'm an accountant. The value I add to the company is not recognized by anyone. The company does these weekly drawings where they award gift cards to employees who have done an excellent job that week. I will never be recognized because no one knows what I do except my boss. It's a low profile position. Oh well, I guess I kind of like it that way. Screw the gift card!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Leela, sounds like you deal with it better than I do. Sometimes I just want to say I'm quitting, just to see if they can replace me so easily :) I would be really mad about the gift card though!

Rachel said...

I don't think that's a wicked confession - just truthful. We all need to know that we make a difference and that what we do is noticeable to others. {Even librarians.} The other day I told Josh {who is four} that he needs to respect and appreciate me more. He looked up at me confused and said, "What's apreesh-e-eat anyway?" Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Melissa. It's really important to recognize the people who've helped us, even in small, unglamorous ways.

Not that you aren't glamorous. Because you are.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Rach, thanks for the reminder - I think moms definitely need more recognition :)

Julie, thanks for thinking I am a glamorous librarian. :)