Monday, November 17, 2008

Complexities of Love


What is it about college that equates (at least in my mind...and my own experience) into being in love?

Every week (or so) it seemed I had a new love interest. I was desperately in love with fill-in-the-blank-generic-boys-name all the time. Life just didn't seem normal if I wasn't swooning over some guy. Seriously? I never thought I was that boy-crazy, but I was horribly misinformed.

And why did it always seem like the male-to-female ratio was a lot like this:



Whatever the reason (or lack thereof), all this drama leads to a lot of rather humorous memories, including, but not limited to:

**The post-date analysis which consisted of three very important questions:
  1. Do you like him?
  2. Did you kiss him
  3. Are you warm for his form? (did I really just post that?)
**The frequent use of "the screaming song" to vent (I don't even know the NAME of the song, but picture 4 girls screaming at the top of their lungs to a pretty inarticulate song - it can relieve many frustrations!)


(actual screaming not depicted)

**The horrible addiction known as chain smoking (lest ye think we were experimenting with drugs, let me enlighten you as to its true meaning:
  • chain-smoking - the practice of thinking, speaking, and drooling over one particular male specimen to the exclusion of all intelligent thought. (See how it can be just as addicting?)
**The introduction of the new Olympic sport: shoe-hurling. This experience is best done in a room with not very many breakable or valuable items lying around. It is also ideally performed with flip-flops and an apartment door. The steps for this performance are:
  1. choose a shoe, preferably one that is flexible and not highly valued (it can even be a shoe-that-lacks-intelligence, but that is a tale for another day)
  2. choose a target, usually a plain, un-glassed door with plenty of room for a running start
  3. think in your mind of the boy-you-adore-who-does-stupid-things-that-generally-add-up-to-not-adoring-you-back
  4. hurl shoe with great force at the door while releasing a high-pitched squeal of anger
  5. retrieve and repeat (while being mindful of other potential throwers - don't want to get hit with a stray shoe)
And even while we managed to survive all this boy-trauma, we still kept up our hopes of one day winning the prize and finding someone to love us despite our blue (or yellow) lipstick:


Julie, Me, Kay, Linda

Stay tuned for further episodes from Lifestyles of the Strange and Complex.
[For previous adventures of our complex days, see these three installments.]

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ah, chain smoking, the screaming song, the post-date analysis. Good, boy-crazy times.

Linda said...

The screaming song is actually "Break Your Heart" by BNL.

And thank you for including a picture of the infamous Water-Monster (I think you mentioned the importance of assigning code names to crushed in your Peter post), who made that year especially frustrating for me.

Linda said...

I would also like to point out that in several of the pictures I am wearing THE pink shirt, the original pink shirt of all pink shirts. See my blog post http://lindaposts.blogspot.com/2008_09_07_archive.html

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I believe Water Monster was probably there BECAUSE of the pink shirt, Linda! :) I thought it was a BNL song, but didn't know the name. I thought perhaps it was appropriately called "the screaming song."

Unknown said...

I think I just got a little embarrassed at the third question of the post-date analysis. But seriously, do we not look AMAZING in our yellow and blue lipstick?

Peter and Mandy said...

I asked Peter who Water Monster was and he couldn't remember...now with Linda's post he remembers...thanks. Now war strategies like dating...I'd like to know about these. He claims he doesn't remember. :)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Mandy, I assure you they existed. I will have to rummage in my memory for some precise language though...