Wednesday, November 19, 2008

When 1/4 = 1

Not sure about my math again? Well, despite have spent huge quantities of time as an undergrad being slow roasted over differentials, integrals, and the like, I apparently have not mastered the art of simple math. Even after triumphantly assisting my husband with his algebra and trigonometry, it doesn't add up to much. I guess fractions always were my greatest weakness.

So, when does 1/4 = 1? Apparently in my cooking. Which should only happen if I am quadrupling a recipe. Which doesn't happen that often. At least not on purpose.

Note the following recipe:

Sweet and Sour Chicken
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 med onion
15 oz can pineapple tidbits
1 1/2 green peppers
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 c water
corn starch
1/4 c sherry cooking wine
sauce:
1 c sugar
1 c ketchup
3/4 c white vinegar
1 t soy sauce
1/4 t ginger
2 t rosemary (ground up)
1/2 c pineapple juice


Cut chicken into chunks, approx 3/4 in wide and 1 1/2 in long. Cut onion and peppers into big chunks. Heat up sauce in microwave until hot.
In a wok on high with a little oil, cook chicken just until no longer pink on the outside. Remove and set on plate with paper towels. Add more oil, saute peppers and onions until they start to brown. Add chicken and cooking wine. Then add sauce. Bring to a boil. Use corn starch mixed with 1/2 c water to thicken sauce. Remove from hot plate once thickened. It is really easy to overcook the chicken so take it off the heat ASAP. The chicken will continue to cook while it cools. Add pineapple and mix in. Serve over hot rice. [Ingredients for sauce are approximate - adjust to suit your taste.]


You will see it calls for 1/4 c cooking sherry (I used chicken broth). Yes, quite clearly, 1 full cup of chicken broth is NOT what I should put in. But, as I am sure you have guessed by now, I did.

Well, don't be discouraged by my failures, this is actually a pretty yummy recipe - feel free to try it! (And I note the irony of my saying this, since, as many of you know, I do not usually enjoy Chinese food. I assume it is because it is so Americanized :)

2 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Oh that is so something I would do. I always double check ingredients, especially when it involves baking soda and baking powder, apparently those are two completely different ingredients.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I've had a few run-ins with the soda/powder problem as well. :)