Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Another One (Bites the Dust?)


Stealing this fantastic idea from my friend Lindsay, here is a brief synopsis of my birthdays past:



I am born. Boy, was I cute. At least a few months after the birthing.


And this is where the record gets a bit spotty. I'm sure I had birthdays and cake and all that. I think it may even be recorded on home movies, but I just can't find any photos until...

Yeah, I'm four. And I got a care bear. What more do you need?

Five is also missing, though I recall having a fantastic friends party (my very first one). I think there was dancing involved. It was a one time thing.

Not to mention six and seven (gees, did the camera break or something? :)


But, here I am, alive and well again at eight. That most important of birthdays. I got to celebrate with a sleepover party! I felt very cool.


And the camera must have been found again, for here I am at nine, experiencing that yearly phenomenon: the older brother trying to (secretly) blow out my candles.


The great double-digit ten, with another sleepover party (I must have been spoiled or something). At least my friend Fern was trying to prevent herself from blowing my candles out!


Now we enter the realms of scary fashion and hairstyles. Eleven and already sporting the curlers. I was also expressing my creativity with a favorite birthday pie (blueberry!)


Which brings us to my all-time favorite. Nothing says "I'm twelve" like a pyramid of friends (The poor suckers on the bottom :) Oh, and a giant bow, stylish glasses, and a perm. Classy.


Wait, this looks frighteningly familiar - oh, yes, my brother trying to slyly steal my birthday candle-blowing fun. Ring in the teenage years.


Fourteen found me in a new place (Tennessee) trying to make new friends. I was exceptionally fortunate to have these wonderful girls from church. They came to my party even though we had only known each other a few months. (That's me at the bottom of the tissue paper pile).


Oh, whoops, that's my brother. Just kidding. That's me trying out my new boy-cut. Short hair can look very cute on girls. Just not me.


Look out world, now I can drive! Thanks to my lovely friends from HS, Rach and Jola, I got to wear a crown and carry balloons around at school. The ultimate in embarrassment.

Who knows where my seventeenth birthday went. I think I was probably having an emotionally traumatizing experience. Or something like that.


But, it looks like I finally made it to adulthood! Now if only I started acting like it...

My nineteenth birthday, I spent recovering from surgery. What a way to celebrate. No pictures, please.

Twenty? Who knows. I was living "on my own" (so far from home, how did I survive?)



I got very lucky for twenty-one. New roommates Linda, Julie, and Lindsay (probably behind the camera), who really didn't know me very well, threw me a party, complete with streamers!

I'm pretty sure I passed twenty-two ok. After all, I graduated from BYU six months later...


I spent this birthday in New Hampshire, but at least I had the best comfort foods - seriously, the best cake EVER!!! (Note the use of fewer candles. That's when you know you're getting old.)

Twenty-four. I was a graduate student, so I probably spent it studying.



At twenty-five, I was just married. Look at that newly-wed bliss. And the tiny cupcakes. Shouldn't cake be getting bigger at this age?

Last year, I really can't remember. I guess my memory is starting to fade too.

And here we have arrived at the present(s).




At least I hope so :)

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Happy birthday, Melissa!! I think I was behind the picture for the big 2-1...I have the same one in my album. :) Anyway, hope your day is great!!

Linda said...

I love your perm pictures--I'm pretty sure I had a (hideous) perm at that time, too.

Unknown said...

I think I looked a lot like you growing up. Maybe I'll do a post like that just so you can see. Hmmm, maybe we are both adopted and have the same birth mother.....

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thanks! Linda, I am glad to know I wasn't the only one sporting an awful perm. You'd think after one time I would learn, but I think I had like 10 perm episodes.

Amyhead, I sure hope we are related. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

lori said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!!! I LOVED seeing all those pictures!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thank you all so much!

Abby said...

Hey friend,

Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed it. I think I would miss my own birthday with the lack of brain power that I have these days :( Sure glad you were born. Love the pictures!