Sunday, October 26, 2008

The (a)typical MBNC

Ever wished you could jump in my shoes for a while? If not, I suggest you find something else to read, because here we go!

A weekend in the life of the (a)typical MBNC*:

-Get off work early on Friday (yeah!)
-Go straight outside to bask in this glorious Indian summer (with a book
of course)


-Make dinner (but only if I feel like it ;)
-Decide that a treat is absolutely necessary for my survival
-Head to local grocery to decide exactly which treat will keep me alive
-Shamelessly spend frivolous amounts of money on said treat(s)
-Splurge for a redbox movie (at least if it is horrible, we only wasted a dollar)
-Watch said movie with spouse while enjoying treat(s) and popcorn (doesn't technically count as another treat right?)
-Go to bed

-Wake up whenever I want Saturday morning (which equated into 8:30 am)
-Run to last minute primary program practice (because I am a last minute substitute)
-Attempt to keep energetic children sitting still (!) during nearly two hour practice (!!)
-Come home to assist spouse in garden/yard activities
-Continue with basking activities mentioned previously in connection with lovely autumn weather
-Listen to the BYU/UNLV football game while biting fingernails to the quick
-Rejoice in last-second win over UNLV while shopping for groceries
-Enjoy gorgeous weather while strolling through the park, occasionally stopping to swing or slide
-Decide not to make dinner
-Make trip to vile fast food restaurant in order to share a romantic meal while sitting in the car watching the traffic whiz past (does it get any more romantic than french fries?)
-Race to the temple to do sealings (YEAH!)
-Lament forgetting to return the redbox movie before 9:00pm, thus spending an extra dollar on a movie that was NOT worth it
-Prepare lesson for nursery class
-Fall in bed, exhausted from a hard day's work (ha)

-Wake up in time to get to church (9:00am - what are we, adults?)
-Walk quickly to church, passing the pig-dog on our way (just think of it this way: woof-woof-snort, woof-woof-snort!)
-Sit with aforementioned wiggly children, who perform marvelously
-Race to nursery to face the hordes (only 13 today, actually)
-Deal with escalating numbers of crying children (chain reaction led to five simultaneous screamers)
-Present (short) lesson with children running all around (~ four minutes)
-Make ten trips to the relief society room with small children and their even smaller bladders
-Clean up one child's accident (see previous note on bladder size)
-Breathe enormous sigh of relief when parents come
-Smile as I remember the adorable things those energetic toddlers do and say (apparently they DO listen :)
-Use any excuse I can to be outside enjoying what may be the very last of the warm weather

-Write a post for my adoring fans (Hi Mom, hi Dad!)
-Dread the return of Monday
-Snuggle up to a good book

And really, I think that's about all I can handle. If you made it this far, you should win a prize. Too bad I spent all my money buying treats that I already ate.


*Married But No Children

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Are you a nursery leader? We did that for a few years and it's exhausting!!!

Rachel said...

And do you have Jon's email? I really want to see his blog and I don't have a current email. . .

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Rach, yes, we are nursery leaders. Every week is like a huge riotous mess. But, still manages to be fun. I sent you an email with the other info.

Peter and Mandy said...

When we moved into the family ward the one thing I dreaded/prayed to not get was nursery teacher. The phone call came, someone wanted to meet with us. Extra praying went into this one. He comes and extends the calling of Sunbeam teachers...well after a year and some, your Sunday sounds nearly the same as ours. Luckily our children don't scream...well not all the time. I keep telling Peter that we will never have five three year olds at once. :)

Your blog is hilarious, I enjoy reading it all the time.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Mandy, I had the same feelings about being called to primary. We first were teachers of the 11-12 yr olds, who talked a lot, but (mostly) could understand. Now, with a range from 10-19 toddlers, things are very different. I always have to keep remembering I will (probably) never have multiple 2-year-olds at a time.