Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Random Post about Random Stuff


Today, I would like to blog about something I have recently noticed about...well, me.

I have a tendency to spill food on my clothing. Every. Single. Day. I don't know when this phenomenon started, since I don't recall having to do laundry all the time and wash stains from my shirts. Perhaps I should ask my mother...? Some days, I will be unaware of the fact that I have dribbled down the front and will go about my business, helping students. I wonder if they simply laugh at my lack of fashion sense or shake their heads in pity at my state. Either way, I usually notice sometime during the day and feel retrospective shame. In addition, I have discovered that this propensity for spillage leaves a lot of stains that are irremovable. Which means that some days, while I may somehow escape the ignominy of slopping, I still have stains on my shirt.

My most recent escapade involved my forgetting to screw a lid on tight. When I next picked up that bottle and, foolishly, shook it, I covered myself with liquid. Well, I only had a few minutes until I had to go to work, so I simply wiped the stain as best I could with a cloth. Later, I noticed that there were several streaks prominently displayed down my front. Of course, this was after I had hurried off to work. *sigh* Perhaps I will simply get used to this kind of embarrassment. Or maybe I will just start bringing a spare jacket to work :)

Unfortunately, what these ramblings all boil down to is: I am running dangerously low on shirts without some kind of permanent stain on them. Which means...shopping.

And that brings me to another random topic. I LOATHE shopping. I despise wandering through stores and picking through wares. The ONLY kinds of shopping I enjoy involve books and furniture. Since I haven't got enough cash flow to fulfill my furniture-shopping desires, I usually stick with books. But, clothing? That is the ultimate in torture for me. I don't have much good taste in clothing either, which usually will result in some buyer's remorse and the wearing of ugly clothes for the next few years. Ah, well. I guess it is inevitable.



(I really ought to consider getting a supply of these shirts)

Sorry all, for the dull, ramble-y post.

Really, though, did NO ONE enjoy ANY OTHER talks from conference?? :)


6 comments:

Lindsay said...

It only gets worse when you're pregnant (both the spilling stuff AND the dreaded shopping). So, um, yeah...look forward to that one of these days.

And, yes, I did happen to like more talks from conference. If I had to pick favorites (though doing so sort of feels like a sin...) I'd have to say I was especially moved by President Monson's, President Uchtdorf's (both at Conference and at RS), Elder Holland's and Elder Eyring's. It really was a wonderful conference.

Peter and Mandy said...

What???!!! I love buying clothes. I always find good deals in the bargain racks and stuff on sale. I bought two pairs of long shorts and three shirts a couple weeks ago for $30. I always buy cheap shirts because I too have the same problem you do. Whatever I spill always is greasy and that doesn't come out in the laundry. Hence the need for a lot of cheap shirts.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Lindsay, thanks for biting the bait and commenting on which talks you liked...good point about picking favorites. And thanks for the positive news about pregnancy :)

Mandy, I know it is kind of shocking about my shopping-phobia. Perhaps you should just do it for me? :)

Anonymous said...

You mentioned some good talks--also Pres. Beck's and Pres. Uchtdorf's from the RS session, Pres. Monson's words to teachers, and (I can't remember the speaker...Elder Hales?) on simplifying your life. I also think the whole conference would've been worth it for the temple announcements alone.

Rachel said...

While I'm not shocked at your dislike of shopping since this has been the case since we were in grade school I feel sad that you miss out on what we call "shopping therapy".

Check out shade shirts. I LOVES them. They're modest, fashionable yet not too crazy and are really good at being casual or dressy depending on what pants and shoes you put with them.

I also have to agree with Lindsey that maternity shopping stinks. How do you choose one bag on a hanger from another? Glad those days are over!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Cheltz, I totally loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk from women's conf as well - it inspired me to write more stories!

Rach, I will definitely look into those shirts...where would I find them? ;)