My final post about this delightful subject (at least for now) is about a book I recently reread and thought was absolutely powerful!
In fact, lots of stuff by Lois Lowry seems to impact me. I think when I first read The Giver as a kid, I really didn't understand much of it. But, wow! There is a lot of food for thought in such a short book. Definitely give this a try (or other
things
by
her
).
And, for the sake of not enough time for another post, here are a few other titles that I loved from the banned titles lists: (and others by Roald Dahl)
So, don't forget to exercise your freedom and READ!
Friday, October 3, 2008
You CAN'T Read This!
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
8:49 AM
Labels: books worthy of note, librarian-ness, literary musings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The Giver is fabulous. I recently read Gathering Blue, but didn't like it nearly as much. I haven't read The Messenger.
Funny how it's the best books that are always the ones to be banned. I suppose they need to keep on banning books just so I know what will be good to read. :)
I actually enjoyed The Messenger almost more than The Giver. You should definitely pick it up. And yes, banned books are often the most powerful and fantastic, though I have learned that some of them are also very obscene or graphic. And I am sure people will continue to challenge some of the best books (and worst books) too!
Post a Comment