Wednesday, October 1, 2008

You Shouldn't Read This

Today's choice of a banned/challenged book has long been a favorite of mine. I know many of you had to read it in high school, and thus loathe it, but perhaps you ought to give it another try. Reading books when you don't have to can make all the difference in the world. And, reading books when you aren't allowed to most definitely makes them better :)



Yes, there could be nothing better* than F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, with its slice of 1920s New York, the wealthy upper class, and the tragedy of human relationships, present in all walks of life. I find it fascinating. Give it a(nother) try!

*Ok, I guess there could be better, but for the sake of hyperbole, give me a break!*

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

This was one of the first books I bought for my library...and I bought it while we were reading it in high school. Yeah...it's pretty great. Have you read "Tender Is the Night" by Fitzgerald? Also fabulous.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I went on a Fitzgerald kick a while back and devoured as much of his stuff as I could. I agree, he writes some good stuff.

Linda said...

This was one of my favorites in high school. I loved it even more when I read it again in college.