Did you ever have one of those experiences that makes you think "Hmm, what am I supposed to learn from this?"
Here's my Hippocratian Adventure (minus the gory details):
October: The Subject [hereafter known as "me" or "I"] finally makes appointment to see doctor [DR1]. DR1, being exceptionally busy, cannot see me until next month.
Early November: Visit DR1. DR1 tells me, in essence, "I don't do that - see our Nurse Practitioner" [NP1]. I suppress an "argh" and make another appointment...for three weeks later.
Late November: Visit NP1. Instead of actually seeing NP1, NP1's Nurse tells me what they will do...without once glancing at the enormous piles of medical history forms I filled out. When I finally mention something about my history, she goes out to speak with NP1. She comes back in and tells me what NP1 said. I ask a question. Repeat previous episode of back-and-forth...two or three more times. Finally, NP1 comes in and resolves issue by insisting I take two tests and make an appointment to see another doctor [DR2]...for six weeks later. [In the interest of full disclosure, the back-and-forth routine was done so I wouldn't have to pay for seeing NP1.]
Early December: I come in for Test 1. I tell them I was seeing NP1. I am informed NP1 left the practice. I decide to get test done here anyway. Secretary [Sec1] tells me no. I say yes. Sec1 say no. I become aggravated. Finally, Sec1 decides taking my money will be wise. I give them money. They take my blood.
Late December: I come in for Test 2. Sec1 informs me I can't take Test 2 because NP1's Nurse is not there that day. Unfortunately, Test 2 must be done today, since I am leaving town. Sec1 protests. I protest her protest. [See Early December exchange.] Sec1 finally decides another Nurse is just as capable of stabbing me with a needle and stealing my blood. Test 2 is done. I give them more money. I seriously consider canceling appointment with DR2 immediately. Instead, I leave the state.
Early January: I decide to take my business elsewhere, cancel appointment with DR2, and make an appointment with another Nurse Practitioner [NP2]. I go to get printouts of my test results to take to NP2 (who works at a different office, thankfully). I have another run-in with Sec1. Sec1 says that since NP1's Nurse is not there (again) she can't give me a printout. I insist. Sec1 denies. I insist some more. Sec1 gives me another form to fill out and sends me to another location. I fill out form. I take it to the other location. Another secretary [Sec2] prints them out. Just. Like. That. [The real source of annoyance stems from the fact that my husband had previously asked for a printout from Sec1 and Sec1 simply printed it - no questions, no forms, no run-around.] Taking my print outs, I said, "Self, you will never have to deal with them again!"
Self, you were wrong.
Still Early January: Bill1 arrives from office. Bill1 states that Tests 1 & 2 were never paid for. Bank statements indicate otherwise. I express ire. I call. When I (finally) speak to someone about Bill1, she immediately says I should not have gotten Bill1, but someone had incorrectly entered the payments (Sec1). I sigh in relief.
Same Day in Early January: I come home. And there is Bill1's ugly stepbrother, Bill2. Bill2 says that I owe more money to the Laboratory that analyzed Test 1. I express great ire. [Flashback to Late November stage: NP1 told me exact prices for Test 1 & Test 2. I paid Sec1 exact prices for Test 1 & Test 2 at the time of services.] Unfortunately, when I call to discuss with Lab, Bill Lady [BL] says I owe Lab money. I argue with BL for several minutes. I lose argument. I become irate. I hand Bill1 & Bill2 to husband and decide to take a break from dealing with BL, Sec1, and all the evil cronies at Office from...well, you get the picture.
The Present: Situation still unresolved. I am nearly certain, however, Bill3 is on its way from Lab with Test 2's request for more money.
Analysis:
What can be learned from this experience? (please take the poll on the left hand side of my blog)
A) How to hate and despise certain people. *cough*Sec1*cough*
B) Patience (also known in my world as Anger Management).
C) Do not go back to this office. Ever.
D) All of the above.
E) None of the above. [Please specify in the comment section].
Friday, January 16, 2009
In Which the Subject Attempts NOT to Go Insane
Posted by
melissa @ 1lbr
at
10:18 AM
Labels: adventures outside the library, me - what more can I say?, poll-o-rific, random stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I recommend you mail them a dead stinky fish. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's illegal. It would just be unpleasant. Put any correspondence you have in there with the fish, in a ziplock or something.
Theoretically, they'll resolve things with you quickly to avoid getting more fish.
that's two cents from a random stranger (I know Linda Walton, and saw a funny comment from you on her blog)
Chris Hayes (Deana's husband)
Wow, Melissa. Doctor's office people are fun.
Is it scary the fish idea sounds tempting? Thanks for the suggestion, Chris!
I am Sooo sorry Moley! Doctors offices and insurance claims people can be like the WORST to deal with- so you still have no idea what is going on with you after all of this craziness?! ( I say anchovies probably don't cost much to mail...:))
Thanks, Kell, I am sure you have dealt with all this stuff and then some. Anchovies...hm... :)
YIKES!!!!!
Post a Comment