Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ode to the Dutch or Native Americans or Whoever...and My Mother

Apparently, there is no clear winner on the "who invented doughnuts" prize. Too bad, cause I was totally going to give them a huge posthumous hug.

So, instead I will give the glory to my mom. When I was growing up, on special family home evening occasions, we [meaning, of course, she] would make homemade doughnuts [officially called dough-dees around here]. I remember begging her probably about every week if we could make them again.

But, since I couldn't exactly beg her to make some now [well, I could, but I wouldn't get any] I figured it was high time I made them myself.

Now I know why it was something we only did occasionally.



And it wasn't because of the fried in grease aspect. [I think.]



Or the drowning in glaze part. [Maybe.]



Or the coating in sugar thing. [Possibly.]


No, I think it was because of the whole five-hours-to-make problem.

But, they are so worth it!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Mmmm...doughnuts...

I have a 5-minute version of homemade doughnuts. Just take biscuit dough, shape like a doughnut, fry for a minute or two, roll in sugar. And, voila! Sure it's cheating, but they're still pretty dang tasty.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Dang, that just makes me want to make them every day!

lori said...

yum! I'd almost commit to five hours of work for those! They look divine!

Peter and Mandy said...

Oh delicious...I'm salivating over here. I think I might just try Lindsey's way...or pick some up at the store :)

kelleen said...

So I was just thinking how much I miss your moms homemade salsa (MMMM!) and she made doughnuts too?... wow, she is one awesome lady (and her daughter certainly isn't falling short of that title either). Wish they could last in the mail across the country-I might keep you in business! :)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

It is really worth the time. Especially since most of it is spent waiting for them to rise.

Kell, my mom made everything (which includes some less desirable things as well...). I wish I could make a business out of it, but I think I'm too lazy most of the time :)